Westminster basketball: Skidmore leads Griffins to big victory
SALT LAKE CITY – The Westminster College men’s basketball team completed a perfect weekend to win the Westminster Thanksgiving Classic with an 88-47 win over Pacific Union (Calif.) on Saturday night in the Behnken Field House.
Westminster (6-4) put together another solid effort on the defensive end as it limited Pacific Union (0-11) to 31.8 percent shooting. The Griffins forced 31 turnovers in the games, which they turned into 42 points, to earn back-to-back victories since the opening weekend of the seasons.
Trailing 12-11 at the 14:36 mark of the first half, Westminster held the visitors without a field goal for over 17 minutes as the Griffins outscored the Pioneers, 49-10. The Griffins created 21 turnovers during the span and saw PUC miss 11 straight shot attempts.
Blake Skidmore scored 17 of his game-high 22 points during the span, and he was one of three Griffins to reach double figures in the game. His 8-of-14 shooting night anchored a season-high 52.6 percent shooting for the team. Westminster had 40 points in the paint and also scored 12 fast break points.
Tallon Robertson added 17 points and six rebounds for the Griffins. He shot 8-of-9 from the floor with one block and one steal. Casey Evans led a 31 point effort for the Westminster bench with a career-high 14 points.
Pacific Union was led by 12 points from Taureaus Maxwell and 10 points apiece by Trevor Nogueira and Jordan Greenwell. The pioneers had a 35-31 edge on the boards with 15 offensive rebounds.
Westminster returns to action Dec. 7, when it opens Frontier Conference play in Dillon, Mont., against No. 8 Montana Western.
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 113
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 75
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 51
- Guest commentary: BYU football and... 40
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 32
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 29
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 26
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for... 23