Crash closes US-6 near Wellington, 9 people critically injured
WELLINGTON, Carbon County — Nine people have been critically injured in a crash that has closed U.S. 6 south of Wellington, according to the Utah Highway Patrol.
Trooper Lawrence Hopper said it appeared a Chevy pickup truck driving west experienced some kind of mechanical malfunction. Hopper later indicated that one of the truck's tires separated, causing the truck to spin and veer into oncoming traffic where it was struck broadside by a Nissan Pathfinder around 5 p.m.
There were two adults and three children in the truck, and two adults and two kids in the Pathfinder, the trooper said.
All five people in the truck and the four people in the Pathfinder were taken to the hospital in critical condition, according to Hopper.
Troopers are working to open at least one lane of U.S. 6 so that traffic can begin moving again. It's unknown when that will happen though, Hopper said.
The Deseret News will post more information as it becomes available.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: GeoffLiesik
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Mountain lion caught in Foothill neighborhood...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 164
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 84
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 18
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 17
- Bingham High students walk out over... 17
- Debates ready to start, third-party... 12