Crash closes US-6 near Wellington, 9 people critically injured
WELLINGTON, Carbon County — Nine people have been critically injured in a crash that has closed U.S. 6 south of Wellington, according to the Utah Highway Patrol.
Trooper Lawrence Hopper said it appeared a Chevy pickup truck driving west experienced some kind of mechanical malfunction. Hopper later indicated that one of the truck's tires separated, causing the truck to spin and veer into oncoming traffic where it was struck broadside by a Nissan Pathfinder around 5 p.m.
There were two adults and three children in the truck, and two adults and two kids in the Pathfinder, the trooper said.
All five people in the truck and the four people in the Pathfinder were taken to the hospital in critical condition, according to Hopper.
Troopers are working to open at least one lane of U.S. 6 so that traffic can begin moving again. It's unknown when that will happen though, Hopper said.
The Deseret News will post more information as it becomes available.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: GeoffLiesik
- 'Meet the Mormons' reaches $4.5 million mark,...
- Updated newborn screening test picks up rare...
- Stay lifted on adoptions by same-sex parents...
- District attorney asks A.G. to consider...
- Several national parks vandalized, including...
- Two killed in high-speed, fiery crash into...
- 2 hospitalized after 6-car pileup in Centerville
- 3 reasons Utah is a great place for students
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 126
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 97
- Stay lifted on adoptions by same-sex... 75
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 61
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support... 45
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 34
- 'Meet the Mormons' reaches $4.5 million... 31
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 19