Crash closes US-6 near Wellington, 9 people critically injured
WELLINGTON, Carbon County — Nine people have been critically injured in a crash that has closed U.S. 6 south of Wellington, according to the Utah Highway Patrol.
Trooper Lawrence Hopper said it appeared a Chevy pickup truck driving west experienced some kind of mechanical malfunction. Hopper later indicated that one of the truck's tires separated, causing the truck to spin and veer into oncoming traffic where it was struck broadside by a Nissan Pathfinder around 5 p.m.
There were two adults and three children in the truck, and two adults and two kids in the Pathfinder, the trooper said.
All five people in the truck and the four people in the Pathfinder were taken to the hospital in critical condition, according to Hopper.
Troopers are working to open at least one lane of U.S. 6 so that traffic can begin moving again. It's unknown when that will happen though, Hopper said.
The Deseret News will post more information as it becomes available.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: GeoffLiesik
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- UDOT resurfacing 12300 South in Draper
- Mount Timpanogos trail temporarily closing...
- Blue Moon Festival is Aug. 6 in Holladay
- Orem police invest in new armor to protect...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 75
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 25
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Can police-community relations be... 14
- Rep. Mia Love buying $1M in TV ads for... 13