Crash closes US-6 near Wellington, 9 people critically injured
WELLINGTON, Carbon County — Nine people have been critically injured in a crash that has closed U.S. 6 south of Wellington, according to the Utah Highway Patrol.
Trooper Lawrence Hopper said it appeared a Chevy pickup truck driving west experienced some kind of mechanical malfunction. Hopper later indicated that one of the truck's tires separated, causing the truck to spin and veer into oncoming traffic where it was struck broadside by a Nissan Pathfinder around 5 p.m.
There were two adults and three children in the truck, and two adults and two kids in the Pathfinder, the trooper said.
All five people in the truck and the four people in the Pathfinder were taken to the hospital in critical condition, according to Hopper.
Troopers are working to open at least one lane of U.S. 6 so that traffic can begin moving again. It's unknown when that will happen though, Hopper said.
The Deseret News will post more information as it becomes available.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: GeoffLiesik
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- Granite School District reaches agreement...
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Heavy rains flood homes, cemetery in Herriman
- Police probing what caused deaths of...
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex marriage
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Utahns losing thousands of dollars to phony...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 82
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 38
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 31
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 30
- Granite School District reaches... 20
- 2 Utah companies respond to FDA warning... 18
- Man accused in BYU gropings ordered to... 7