Crash closes US-6 near Wellington, 9 people critically injured
WELLINGTON, Carbon County — Nine people have been critically injured in a crash that has closed U.S. 6 south of Wellington, according to the Utah Highway Patrol.
Trooper Lawrence Hopper said it appeared a Chevy pickup truck driving west experienced some kind of mechanical malfunction. Hopper later indicated that one of the truck's tires separated, causing the truck to spin and veer into oncoming traffic where it was struck broadside by a Nissan Pathfinder around 5 p.m.
There were two adults and three children in the truck, and two adults and two kids in the Pathfinder, the trooper said.
All five people in the truck and the four people in the Pathfinder were taken to the hospital in critical condition, according to Hopper.
Troopers are working to open at least one lane of U.S. 6 so that traffic can begin moving again. It's unknown when that will happen though, Hopper said.
The Deseret News will post more information as it becomes available.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: GeoffLiesik
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay...
- Wanted Layton man dies in New Mexico plane crash
- Duct tape prom attire earns Utah teens $5,000...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Payson woman found dead in duffel bag near...
- Salt Lake City mayor's spokesman placed on...
- Doug Robinson: Weber State track coach isn't...
- Teens arrested, rancher cleared after...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 303
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 142
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 109
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 77
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 68
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 46
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 46
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 36