Utah Jazz: Trey Burke's big night leads Jazz to first road win, avenges loss to Jeff Hornacek's Suns
And the last time Hornacek lost to the Jazz? You’ll have to go way back to Feb. 21, 1994, when the shooting guard’s Philadelphia 76ers fell in Utah 119-92 just before he was traded to the Jazz. Hornacek then played for Utah through 2000 and helped coach the team in various capacities between 2007-13 before being hired as Phoenix’s head coach this offseason.
Corbin, who called Friday’s postgame chat in the coaches office in Utah with the rookie bench boss “bittersweet,” was more excited that his team won a game than he was to finally beat his old teammate and assistant after suffering through two losses to the Suns this season.
“It feels good, especially after last night traveling over here. I thought we made some great adjustments,” Corbin said. “The guys on the floor communicated a lot better; our defensive energy was a lot better tonight, so we were able to get a win here.”
The Suns tied the game at 86-86 after a couple of consecutive Gerald Green 3-pointers, but Alec Burks responded with a bucket and Richard Jefferson hit a deep shot. That quick spurt gave Utah a five-point lead, and Phoenix never got closer than four down the stretch.
Burke’s 3-pointer on a pick-and-roll play with Derrick Favors with 73 seconds remaining gave the Jazz an eight-point cushion to pull off their first road win of the season.
Burke wanted to drive for a shot in the paint, but the defense collapsed and the scrambling Suns left him open up top.
Like he did so many times while leading Michigan to the national championship game, the 2013 NCAA player of the year calmly swished the big shot.
“I wasn’t trying to settle for the 3,” he said. “(The Suns) got mixed up on the screen and I was at the 3-point line by myself and I had the confidence to shoot it.”
The Jazz now have the confidence of winning two of three games as they return home Monday for that game against the Rockets.
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big part...
- BYU confirms Jim McMahon will be inducted...
- Week 2 NFL locals roundup: Players from Utah...
- Jim McMahon: 37 years later, former BYU star...
- High school football: Felt's Facts for Week...
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have...
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 136
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 98
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 53
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 48