Utah football: Utes end season with 24-17 win over Colorado
Utah had an opportunity to match the touchdown later in the quarter, but a fumble at the goal line gave Colorado the ball back. After catching a pass from Schulz, Murphy tried to stretch his way into the end zone before safety Marques Mosley forced a fumble and teammate Jeffrey Hall scooped it up and returned it 42 yards. The Buffaloes eventually capitalized on the takeaway with a 19-yard field goal by Oliver to make it 21-10 with 12:17 remaining in the fourth quarter.
Utah responded with a 46-yard field goal by Phillips less than four minutes later to make it 24-10. Colorado tightened things down the stretch when Liufau teamed with Nelson Spruce on a 14-yard touchdown toss.
The Buffaloes attempted an onside kick with 2:30 left to play, but it failed. They did end up forcing the Utes to punt and took possession on their own 10 with just more than two minutes to go. On first down, though, Reilly picked off a pass and slid safely to the ground. He arose and threw the ball into the stands amid a chorus of cheers from the crowd.
Colorado (4-8, 1-8) was out of timeouts and Utah ran three plays before time expired.
“We were able to pull it out in the end," Reilly said. “That’s all that matters.”
Defensive tackle Tenny Palepoi was among the seniors savoring the moment, posing for pictures with family, friends and fans before heading to the locker room.
“I’m just happy we went out with the ‘W.’ Five losses in a row has been tough,” Palepoi said. “But to go out with a win is something special and hopefully they use this to carry on to next year and use this momentum to work toward the Pac-12 championship.”
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan against...
- BYU's Rose adjusts lineup — freshman...
- Morning links: Utah, USU pick up commitments...
- How did they fare? Locals in the NFL roundup...
- Rock On: A bad day gets worse for Whittingham
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 54
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 43
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 38
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 37
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35