Police shoot man after he threatened to burn down his home
SALT LAKE CITY — A man is in serious condition, but is expected to recover after being shot by police when he threatened to burn down his home late Friday.
Police were called to the apartment complex, at 164 S. 900 West, shortly after 11 p.m. Friday. It was believed that the man might have been experiencing a mental health crisis, according to Salt Lake City Police Sgt. Robin Heiden.
"We have dealt with him in the recent past," she said, adding that officers were concerned for the man's safety, as well as that of other residents of the apartment building.
An odor of natural gas was also apparent, leading officers to enter the home when the man refused to come out.
The man appeared to be in possession of an object that officers believed to be a knife and when he lunged at them, an officer fired one shot at the man, Heiden said. She did not say where the man was shot, but he was taken to a local hospital and is expected to recover from his wound.
The officer who fired at the man is on paid administrative leave until an internal investigation is completed. A separate investigation is also underway by the Salt Lake County district attorney's office, as is customary when officers fire upon a subject.
Police did not release more information about the incident Saturday, including the names of the man or the officer involved in the shooting. Heiden said more would not be known until after the investigations are performed.
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- About 22,000 items stored as stolen property...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 38
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 21
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17