Dick Harmon: BYU, Utah defenses could use an offensive hand this weekend
Well, it is moot and probably wouldn’t have made a difference because Notre Dame owned the line of scrimmage.
But in the big picture of both the Cougars and Utes, if their respective offenses would have been better this season ... what could have been?
BYU hired a new offensive staff and Utah hired Erickson to address this very issue a year ago.
This isn’t to excuse a myriad mistakes by both Utah and BYU defenses. At times, they've given up big chunks of yardage, yielded kickoff returns and made untimely penalties. But if you weigh these things in the balance, BYU and Utah offenses would take the scale tray to the table in the blame game.
Perhaps on Saturday, come the end of the day, Sitake and Howell and Mendenhall will get a little reprieve witnessing their offensive counterparts put up some nice numbers on the scoreboard.
After all, they are not facing the Cougars of Mike Leach, ASU, Arizona, Oregon, Notre Dame or Wisconsin.
One would think on this post-holiday game day, scoring lots of points is doable.
Losses would be a Black Saturday, indeed.
This week’s predictions:
ASU 37, Arizona 34: The 18th-ranked Sun Devils hold home turf.
USC 24, UCLA 21: Give Trojans credit in post-Lane Kiffin era.
Alabama 34, Auburn 31: Crimson Tide players are monsters and have the better QB.
Utah State 28, Wyoming 21: Aggies are 4-2 at home and Pokes 1-4 traveling.
BYU 34, Nevada 17: Cougars limping to the finish line.
Last week: 5-3; Overall 81-27 (.750)
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- EX-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in...
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- BYU football enemy camp: 5 questions with a...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- Texas A&M jumps, BYU and Texas garner more...
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- Dick Harmon: A visit to Greenwich, the place...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 72
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- EX-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in... 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 36
- Texas will be without starting QB,... 33
- Utah Utes take stock of the offense... 31