Users of Xbox live, which allows you to play and communicate with gamers around the world, better watch their mouths.
Microsoft, the company behind Xbox, has been cracking down on the language its users employ while playing games, even suspending accounts that violate their user policy against it.
"(W)e take Code of Conduct moderation via Upload Studio very seriously. We want a clean, safe and fun environment for all users," Microsoft told CNN. "Excessive profanity as well as other Code of Conduct violations will be enforced upon and result in suspension of some or all privileges on Xbox Live. We remain committed to preserving and promoting a safe, secure and enjoyable experience for all of our Xbox Live members."
Xbox has banned offensive users from uploading videos on the new Xbox One's Upload Studios, as well as accessing other apps like Skype through their system, The Guardian said.
CNN went on to explain that some were astonished that Microsoft would take such a stance, while at the same time promoting games that contained obscenities.
"Saying that swearing is not to be tolerated (at least partially) in this one area of gaming on top of a platform that is an obscenity cannon just feels squishy," Alex Wilhelm wrote for TechCrunch. "Also, it's inconsistent. And as I don't think that language deemed by some as 'foul' should be banned while playing games, I don't think that it should be banned in uploaded videos of games being played."
"However," wrote Damien Johnson at Highlight Press, "others have praised the actions of Microsoft and reminded the gaming public that there are millions of Xbox One owners the world over of a very young and impressionable age — all of whom should have access to a gaming environment that’s guaranteed safe and free from profanity."
- A father's bucket list: 10 things I want to...
- 5 underrated Disney movies
- Lexi Hansen forgives driver who hit her (+video)
- The top 10 dream colleges in 2015
- The Clean Cut: Time-lapse video captures...
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney, Jimmy Fallon...
- Motherhood Matters: When there is nothing...
- What makes marriage hard? These 5 things...
- 'Maternal feminists' defend motherhood... 54
- What makes marriage hard? These 5... 18
- 5 underrated Disney movies 14
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney, Jimmy... 9
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Baby boomers,... 6
- Teens may be even more distracted... 4
- What accounts for the cinematic... 3
- The Clean Cut: BYU students' video... 2