Hate to eat and run, but I'm going shopping, say thousands
"I like the excitement of being here with other customers because we all have the same Christmas spirit," Burningham said, adding that the crowd was unexpectedly small. She said she overheard some store employees say they had planned on larger crowds for the Thanksgiving Day opening.
In all, Burningham said she saved about $150 by shopping the deals on Thursday. And because she got the shopping out of the way early, she was also able to complete her assignment to bring bread stuffing to her family's Thanksgiving dinner in Riverton later in the day.
Selfridge said the deals this year were less than impressive, and they get worse every year. Although he was swayed by the low-priced televisions, he believes much of the Black Friday hype is just that, a marketing ploy to get more people into stores.
However, stores were offering all kinds of incentives to get people through their doors. Cabela's, in Lehi, was promising its first 600 patrons a chance at winning free rifles, video cameras, gift cards and other sporting goods accessories when it opens early Friday morning.
More than 35 million shoppers shopped on Thanksgiving Day in 2012, according to the National Retail Federation and the most popular items proved to be the same thing that most shoppers were hoping for on Thanksgiving this year — big screen TVs. During just the first day of Black Friday deals in 2012, Walmart sold 1.3 million televisions, as well as hundreds of thousands of other electronics nationwide.
"I'm already off work for Thanksgiving, so I might as well spend it shopping for the things I need," Montierth said.
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Pleasant View fire contained Saturday;...
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- Holladay woman dies rock climbing in Maple...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 22
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 16
- Two Utah schools under federal... 13