Book review: 'The Highly Effective Missionary' offers skills for a successful mission
David M.R. Covey believes that more effective missionaries will bring more people to Jesus Christ. He also believes that it requires not only obedience, but skills to become a highly effective missionary. He discusses these skills and their application in his new book “The Highly Effective Missionary.”
Covey draws on real-life missionary accounts experienced by both himself and his son. He offers missionaries advice and strategies for more effective contacting and committing skills and suggests tips to improve skills when working with church members.
In each of these areas, Covey outlines specific, detailed techniques and methods to improve the effectiveness of the missionary. The book is filled with helpful charts, surveys, exercises and examples. Each chapter is immediately followed by a list of probing questions intended to serve as both motivation and self-assessment.
While the book suggests very specific dialogues and techniques, Covey encourages missionaries to adapt them to fit their own individual talents and personalities. He devotes an entire chapter to this topic and suggests that it is one of the overall themes of the book.
This book is clearly intended for a very specific audience —specifically for the benefit of missionaries of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. As such, it can be a very useful tool for both present and future LDS missionaries as a supplement to "Preach My Gospel."
Covey served a two-year mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the London England South Mission. He is married to his high school sweetheart Pamela West Covey and they are the parents of seven children.
Sandra Nazar lives, writes and blogs in Oklahoma with her husband and five children. She blogs at www.sincerelysandra.net.
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'...
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to...
- Actress Leah Remini criticized after...
- Gay marriage debate is changing how Americans...
- Some LDS missionaries coming home from...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Good friends are...
- LDS leader describes writing Elder Neal A....
- Temple tax: European court rules LDS... 98
- Gay marriage debate is changing how... 70
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'... 45
- When Satan steals your motherhood 40
- Family of BYU student hit by car say... 40
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to... 35
- Defending the Faith: Where is Mount Sinai? 24
- 'Son of God' is strong on production,... 20