GREEN RIVER — Wildlife enthusiasts can see Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep up close at the annual Bighorn Sheep Watch. The Division of Wildlife Resources will host the free event on Dec. 7 along the Green River in southeastern Utah.
"Bighorns are in the rut this time of year," said Brent Stettler, regional conservation outreach manager for the DWR, "so they're less wary of people."
Since the sheep are focused on courtship and breeding, Stettler said, they'll let vehicles get closer than they normally would.
In past years, participants have gotten within 50 yards of bighorns. Occasionally, the group sees rams butt heads. Most of the time, though, members of the group watch large rams kick and harass smaller males.
The watch will take place along an 8-mile stretch of road near the river.
The group will meet at 8 a.m. at the John Wesley Powell Museum parking lot, 1765 E. Main, Green River. From the parking lot, the group will caravan to the river road. The road is asphalt, gravel and packed dirt. It's suitable for passenger cars, except after rain or snowstorm.
The event is free, and preregistration is not required. Those who attend should bring binoculars, a spotting scope and a camera. "Wear warm clothing," Stettler said, "and bring water and snacks, or a lunch."
For more information, call Stettler at 435-613-3707 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed robbery...
- Photos: Hollywood comes to Utah with the...
- 'Frozen', Utah style! Slot canyons, arches...
- Suspected DUI driver found in barn hours...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax this...
- Are you willing to pay more for your child's...
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative Republicans...
- How to keep a youthful appearance
- Mitt sounds like a candidate at Salt... 87
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 25
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 21
- EPA inventory highlights 'toxic'... 19
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 19
- Former SUU rugby player sentenced to... 18
- Inmates turn in handgun and magazine... 18
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 16