GREEN RIVER — Wildlife enthusiasts can see Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep up close at the annual Bighorn Sheep Watch. The Division of Wildlife Resources will host the free event on Dec. 7 along the Green River in southeastern Utah.
"Bighorns are in the rut this time of year," said Brent Stettler, regional conservation outreach manager for the DWR, "so they're less wary of people."
Since the sheep are focused on courtship and breeding, Stettler said, they'll let vehicles get closer than they normally would.
In past years, participants have gotten within 50 yards of bighorns. Occasionally, the group sees rams butt heads. Most of the time, though, members of the group watch large rams kick and harass smaller males.
The watch will take place along an 8-mile stretch of road near the river.
The group will meet at 8 a.m. at the John Wesley Powell Museum parking lot, 1765 E. Main, Green River. From the parking lot, the group will caravan to the river road. The road is asphalt, gravel and packed dirt. It's suitable for passenger cars, except after rain or snowstorm.
The event is free, and preregistration is not required. Those who attend should bring binoculars, a spotting scope and a camera. "Wear warm clothing," Stettler said, "and bring water and snacks, or a lunch."
For more information, call Stettler at 435-613-3707 or email him at email@example.com.
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- 'Our lives have been better for having her,'...
- Utah family's adoption of Ethiopian girl...
- Ogden home burglarized while family attends...
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as national...
- Landslide remediation plans emerge amid...
- How do I know if I'm ovulating?
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 68
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as... 34
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage... 33
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 29
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 27
- GOP plans to sue over Count My Vote... 23
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 20
- 'It can happen to anyone': Utah... 20