GREEN RIVER — Wildlife enthusiasts can see Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep up close at the annual Bighorn Sheep Watch. The Division of Wildlife Resources will host the free event on Dec. 7 along the Green River in southeastern Utah.
"Bighorns are in the rut this time of year," said Brent Stettler, regional conservation outreach manager for the DWR, "so they're less wary of people."
Since the sheep are focused on courtship and breeding, Stettler said, they'll let vehicles get closer than they normally would.
In past years, participants have gotten within 50 yards of bighorns. Occasionally, the group sees rams butt heads. Most of the time, though, members of the group watch large rams kick and harass smaller males.
The watch will take place along an 8-mile stretch of road near the river.
The group will meet at 8 a.m. at the John Wesley Powell Museum parking lot, 1765 E. Main, Green River. From the parking lot, the group will caravan to the river road. The road is asphalt, gravel and packed dirt. It's suitable for passenger cars, except after rain or snowstorm.
The event is free, and preregistration is not required. Those who attend should bring binoculars, a spotting scope and a camera. "Wear warm clothing," Stettler said, "and bring water and snacks, or a lunch."
For more information, call Stettler at 435-613-3707 or email him at email@example.com.
- Deputy's widow laments small room for...
- Vernal police investigating offensive...
- Hundreds search for missing Provo woman who...
- Father raises awareness of congenital defect...
- Report: Utah is 'one of the best examples' of...
- Head of Salt Lake Catholic diocese named...
- Man leads police on chase onto tarmac of the...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 62
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 60
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 53
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 23
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant... 23
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 21
- Poll: 'Undecided' tops Utah Republican... 15
- Hatch, Lee split on new attorney general 14