GREEN RIVER — Wildlife enthusiasts can see Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep up close at the annual Bighorn Sheep Watch. The Division of Wildlife Resources will host the free event on Dec. 7 along the Green River in southeastern Utah.
"Bighorns are in the rut this time of year," said Brent Stettler, regional conservation outreach manager for the DWR, "so they're less wary of people."
Since the sheep are focused on courtship and breeding, Stettler said, they'll let vehicles get closer than they normally would.
In past years, participants have gotten within 50 yards of bighorns. Occasionally, the group sees rams butt heads. Most of the time, though, members of the group watch large rams kick and harass smaller males.
The watch will take place along an 8-mile stretch of road near the river.
The group will meet at 8 a.m. at the John Wesley Powell Museum parking lot, 1765 E. Main, Green River. From the parking lot, the group will caravan to the river road. The road is asphalt, gravel and packed dirt. It's suitable for passenger cars, except after rain or snowstorm.
The event is free, and preregistration is not required. Those who attend should bring binoculars, a spotting scope and a camera. "Wear warm clothing," Stettler said, "and bring water and snacks, or a lunch."
For more information, call Stettler at 435-613-3707 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Recreation, crowds and challenges: What's...
- About Utah: He never yelled, but he sure did...
- Stolen Dodge Charger no match for Hurricane...
- Herbert pleads with Obama to stop any new...
- One year later: Slow movement on slide repairs
- Prison inmates start hunger strike, demand...
- Teen girl killed in Millard County crash
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 50
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay... 38
- Prison inmates start hunger strike,... 36
- Herbert pleads with Obama to stop any... 22
- Salt Lake County cities, school... 18
- EPA's Clean Power Plan draws Utah... 15
- ACLU supports inmates' hunger strike,... 15
- Teens arrested, rancher cleared after... 12