University of Utah
SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah has announced a new collaborative education program with Nankai University in Tianjin, China, that will expand global partnerships in Asia.
Called the 3+X program, it will provide Chinese students the opportunity to attend both universities and receive a bachelor's degree from Nankai University and master's degree from the U.
"We look forward to expanding this innovative partnership with Nankai University as a significant component of the reach of our Asia Center, Confucius Institute, Songdo campus and our university's evolving focus on Asia," said Robert Newman, dean of the U. College of Humanities.
Students will attend Nankai for three years of study, then enter the U. to complete the program. At the end of their first year at the U., students will be awarded a bachelor's degree from Nankai, then continue to earn their master's degree, which will be awarded by the U.
Once students are admitted into the 3+X program at Nankai, they are still required to apply to the U. to be admitted under the standard graduate admission guidelines. Students can choose from a variety of majors including finance, comparative literary and cultural studies, communication, and teaching English as a second language.
"Given Asia's political and economic importance and the rapidly increasing number of students from Asian countries that come to Utah to study, the continent is a strong focus for global engagement at the U.," said Janet Theiss, director of the U. Asia Center. "Programs like 3+X are designed to build sustainable academic partnerships to foster the international goals of both sides."
Gong Ke, president of Nankai University, and U. President David Pershing signed the 3+X program agreement on Nov. 19. Students from Nankai are expected to arrive at the U. in the fall of 2015.
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Community rallies for Kamas family after...
- West Nile activity discovered in four Utah...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Herbert among 6 governors raising concerns...
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at Utah...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 43
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 20
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 18
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 16
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Union Pacific train makes special... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13
- Unaccompanied children from Central... 12