University of Utah
SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah has announced a new collaborative education program with Nankai University in Tianjin, China, that will expand global partnerships in Asia.
Called the 3+X program, it will provide Chinese students the opportunity to attend both universities and receive a bachelor's degree from Nankai University and master's degree from the U.
"We look forward to expanding this innovative partnership with Nankai University as a significant component of the reach of our Asia Center, Confucius Institute, Songdo campus and our university's evolving focus on Asia," said Robert Newman, dean of the U. College of Humanities.
Students will attend Nankai for three years of study, then enter the U. to complete the program. At the end of their first year at the U., students will be awarded a bachelor's degree from Nankai, then continue to earn their master's degree, which will be awarded by the U.
Once students are admitted into the 3+X program at Nankai, they are still required to apply to the U. to be admitted under the standard graduate admission guidelines. Students can choose from a variety of majors including finance, comparative literary and cultural studies, communication, and teaching English as a second language.
"Given Asia's political and economic importance and the rapidly increasing number of students from Asian countries that come to Utah to study, the continent is a strong focus for global engagement at the U.," said Janet Theiss, director of the U. Asia Center. "Programs like 3+X are designed to build sustainable academic partnerships to foster the international goals of both sides."
Gong Ke, president of Nankai University, and U. President David Pershing signed the 3+X program agreement on Nov. 19. Students from Nankai are expected to arrive at the U. in the fall of 2015.
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Zion National Park to hold public meetings on...
- National Guard trains in Denver to respond to...
- Utah defends busting theater for serving...
- Lawyers for victim in teacher sex case...
- Polynesians refused service at Utah bar...
- Drug deal messages pop up on tablet parents...
- Utah man held 1,164 days in jail... 37
- 'Dirty soda' lawsuit calls shop's... 22
- Former Utah Gov. Mike Leavitt advising... 20
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 19
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 16
- National conservative group backs... 16
- Sutherland Institute looks to broaden... 15