University of Utah
SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah has announced a new collaborative education program with Nankai University in Tianjin, China, that will expand global partnerships in Asia.
Called the 3+X program, it will provide Chinese students the opportunity to attend both universities and receive a bachelor's degree from Nankai University and master's degree from the U.
"We look forward to expanding this innovative partnership with Nankai University as a significant component of the reach of our Asia Center, Confucius Institute, Songdo campus and our university's evolving focus on Asia," said Robert Newman, dean of the U. College of Humanities.
Students will attend Nankai for three years of study, then enter the U. to complete the program. At the end of their first year at the U., students will be awarded a bachelor's degree from Nankai, then continue to earn their master's degree, which will be awarded by the U.
Once students are admitted into the 3+X program at Nankai, they are still required to apply to the U. to be admitted under the standard graduate admission guidelines. Students can choose from a variety of majors including finance, comparative literary and cultural studies, communication, and teaching English as a second language.
"Given Asia's political and economic importance and the rapidly increasing number of students from Asian countries that come to Utah to study, the continent is a strong focus for global engagement at the U.," said Janet Theiss, director of the U. Asia Center. "Programs like 3+X are designed to build sustainable academic partnerships to foster the international goals of both sides."
Gong Ke, president of Nankai University, and U. President David Pershing signed the 3+X program agreement on Nov. 19. Students from Nankai are expected to arrive at the U. in the fall of 2015.
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Sandy mailman's plea for books gets worldwide...
- Utah natives receive rave reviews, make 'So...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- Body found in suitcase near Saltair identified
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 289
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 128
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 101
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 88
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 73
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 65
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 35