SOUTH JORDAN — Ashes may have sparked a house fire that caused an estimated $50,000 in damage Wednesday morning.
About 10 a.m., firefighters responded to a call from a neighbor of a home at 9435 S. 2500 West who said she saw smoke coming from the back of the house's garage, according to South Jordan Fire Battalion Chief Wayne Edginton. Battalion
While en route, crews called in another engine when they received word that a person was still inside the burning house. When they arrived, they found that the couple who lived at the home was in the house when the fire started but went to a neighbor's home when they discovered the blaze.
Although investigators have yet to confirm the origin of the fire, Edginton said they have one possible theory. "We suspect that was hot ashes from a stove that they have downstairs," he said.
Earlier in the day, the owner of the home cleaned ashes from a stove inside the home, placed them in a paper bag and then into a garbage can located on the back patio, where fire officials believe the fire originated.
It took 35 firefighters about an hour to extinguish all the hot spots, Edginton said. The flames consumed the roof of the garage and ran through the attic.
No one was injured in the fire and no other homes were threatened, according to fire officials.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Police ID man who barricaded himself in motor...
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- Long-awaited Jeremy Johnson fraud trial kicks...
- Ex-social worker to plead guilty to sex with...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 55
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 36
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 12