Westminster basketball: Griffins playing host to Westminster Thanksgiving Classic
SALT LAKE CITY – The Westminster College men’s basketball team returns to the Behnken Field House this week for the ninth Westminster Thanksgiving Classic on Friday and Saturday. Westminster will face College of Idaho at 5 p.m. MST on Friday before playing Pacific Union (Calif.) at 6 p.m. MST on Saturday. Montana Tech will play the non-Griffin opponent each night starting two hours before the Westminster game.
Westminster returns home at 4-4 on the season after going 1-3 in the four games it has played away since last playing at home. The Griffins dropped both games at least weekend’s Midland Empire Classic, losing two straight in November for the first time since 2009.
The Griffins are 1-1 at home this season after defeating Western State (Colo.) and losing to Azusa Pacific (Calif.) at the Westminster Tipoff Classic earlier this month. Westminster is 12-3 at home dating back to last season and has won seven of the last nine in the Behnken Field House.
For the season, the Griffins are averaging 70.6 points per game while shooting 41.7 percent from the field. They are off to a slow start from beyond the arc, making just 28.8 percent. Westminster shoots 61.4 percent at the foul line while averaging 10.9 assists per contest.
On the defensive end, Westminster is giving up 73.1 points per game and limiting the opposition to 42.9 percent shooting. In eight games, Griffin opponents are making 36.7 percent from beyond the arc and 67.7 percent at the foul line. Westminster has forced 130 turnovers with 76 steals and 15 blocked shots.
Seniors Tallon Robertson and Blake Skidmore are the top two scorers on the team as they combine to average 32.3 points per game. Robertson is scoring 17.7 points per night and is second in the Frontier by collecting 8.17 rebounds per game. Skidmore is scoring 14.7 points per game and shooting 43.2 percent from the field. Colton Moon leads the team with 15 assists and 13 steals.
- While Djokovic, Williams wait, Wawrinka gets...
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- LSU's live tiger mascot diagnosed with rare...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- Lowry, DeRozan lead Raptors to 105-99 win...
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under Armour
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 145
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 67
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 48
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 47
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 41
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 27