Bebeto Matthews, Associated Press
Not everyone is impressed, however. Bloomberg News’ Barry Ritholtz, for one, partially blames an irresponsible obsession by the media that feeds Black Friday hysteria. By offering false “projections” and “predictions” of the holiday shopping season, Ritholtz believes the public buys into a false notion that the day after Thanksgiving is worth paying attention to.
“Investors who don’t enjoy losing money should ignore the media coverage of these misleading, inaccurate surveys (predicting Black Friday’s influence on the economy) with extreme prejudice,” Ritholtz concludes.
Whether Black Friday is all hype or the real deal is largely irrelevant, however, because consumers rely on the tradition for their annual holiday shopping kick-off. The deals might not be that much better, but people are far more aware of them.
To help navigate this year’s plethora of deals, DeseretNews.com has compiled a list of the 16 best doorbuster deals for families and individuals this Black Friday.
The list was compiled using various deal aggregators such as BlackFriday.com and reflects the advertised discounts for the various products highlighted. We did our best to not only find great deals on electronics — which typically get the most attention — but also products the whole family can enjoy.
- How one woman unplugged from technology for...
- What it takes to be middle class in each state
- It can cost you $12,000 a year to buy...
- Why college matters more today than 20 years ago
- Renovation Solutions: 5 signs it is time to...
- Don't be surprised if you find your boss...
- Kids learn the ABCs of managing money
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't be ashamed of...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't be ashamed of... 17
- What could McDonald's do to fix its... 11
- How one woman unplugged from technology... 6
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view... 6
- Are you ready to start using a digital... 5
- How much money should you be saving... 4
- It can cost you $12,000 a year to buy... 4
- Michelle Singletary: Credit can be... 3