Bebeto Matthews, Associated Press
Not everyone is impressed, however. Bloomberg News’ Barry Ritholtz, for one, partially blames an irresponsible obsession by the media that feeds Black Friday hysteria. By offering false “projections” and “predictions” of the holiday shopping season, Ritholtz believes the public buys into a false notion that the day after Thanksgiving is worth paying attention to.
“Investors who don’t enjoy losing money should ignore the media coverage of these misleading, inaccurate surveys (predicting Black Friday’s influence on the economy) with extreme prejudice,” Ritholtz concludes.
Whether Black Friday is all hype or the real deal is largely irrelevant, however, because consumers rely on the tradition for their annual holiday shopping kick-off. The deals might not be that much better, but people are far more aware of them.
To help navigate this year’s plethora of deals, DeseretNews.com has compiled a list of the 16 best doorbuster deals for families and individuals this Black Friday.
The list was compiled using various deal aggregators such as BlackFriday.com and reflects the advertised discounts for the various products highlighted. We did our best to not only find great deals on electronics — which typically get the most attention — but also products the whole family can enjoy.
- The most expensive homes in Utah in 2014
- 4 unexpected health risks of smartphone use
- There's more to Black Friday than getting a...
- Why 'Shark Tank' investor Barbara Corcoran...
- How actress Blake Lively's family saves money...
- 5 easy ways to make your money work for you
- Why you need to stop buying your kids so many...
- In our opinion: Fear, intentions can result...
- Pope demands just distribution of... 6
- Ford's new F-150 to get 26 mpg, tops... 4
- Gift Guide: 3 ways to watch streaming... 3
- Minivans do poorly in new crash tests 2
- When low-income housing is converted... 2
- How to keep information overload from... 2
- 5 reasons not planning could help you... 1
- How are holiday shoppers spending their... 1