Bebeto Matthews, Associated Press
Not everyone is impressed, however. Bloomberg News’ Barry Ritholtz, for one, partially blames an irresponsible obsession by the media that feeds Black Friday hysteria. By offering false “projections” and “predictions” of the holiday shopping season, Ritholtz believes the public buys into a false notion that the day after Thanksgiving is worth paying attention to.
“Investors who don’t enjoy losing money should ignore the media coverage of these misleading, inaccurate surveys (predicting Black Friday’s influence on the economy) with extreme prejudice,” Ritholtz concludes.
Whether Black Friday is all hype or the real deal is largely irrelevant, however, because consumers rely on the tradition for their annual holiday shopping kick-off. The deals might not be that much better, but people are far more aware of them.
To help navigate this year’s plethora of deals, DeseretNews.com has compiled a list of the 16 best doorbuster deals for families and individuals this Black Friday.
The list was compiled using various deal aggregators such as BlackFriday.com and reflects the advertised discounts for the various products highlighted. We did our best to not only find great deals on electronics — which typically get the most attention — but also products the whole family can enjoy.
- 25 states with the lowest levels of personal...
- 9 startup companies perfect for your family
- 5 ways to save money, improve quality of life...
- U.S. economy grows at scorching 4 percent in...
- Why you must teach your children about money
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't touch that 529 plan
- Consumer index climbs to record level in Utah
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 20
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate... 13
- U.S. economy grows at scorching 4... 12
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't touch that 529... 8
- Study: 35 percent in US facing debt... 5
- Consumer index climbs to record level... 4
- Plan to simplify 2015 health renewals... 2