James Young, Deseret News
HEBER CITY — When Mark Allen got a speeding ticket, he was more concerned about what was listed on the citation than how he was going to pay for it.
When he was pulled over Saturday night in Heber City, Allen said he gave the police officer his license and registration information. But when he later took a close look at the citation, he noticed it had a woman's personal information on it — enough information to steal her identity.
"When I got home, I looked at it and it wasn't my name," Allen said. At first he thought the officer had given him the wrong ticket. "And then I started looking at it and it had the make, the model and the year of my car, but divulged a girl that lives in Midway."
Not only was another person's name on his speeding ticket, but so was her Social Security number, birth date, address and even eye color.
Heber City Police Lt. Jason Bradley explained how an electronic citation system operates. He said the officer runs the driver's license, and then the information comes up on the screen. The name is selected and their information is populated onto the citation.
In Allen's situation, the officer selected the name from a previous stop, Bradley said.
Chelsea Snyder's information was on the ticket that was given to Allen.
"Oh I was freaked out," Snyder said. "My stomach dropped."
"I had everything I needed to steal her identity," Allen said, adding that he’s also concerned that someone else may have his personal information.
Bradley said he'd heard about wrong details being released before, but hadn't seen it in his department until this incident. Heber City police have apologized, and Snyder has asked for the agency to document the mistake.
"This has brought that to the forefront where we're now going to say, 'Hey, you've got to double check that,'" Bradley said.
Heber City police have talked with the officer who issued the citation, but whether any other action will be taken is unknown. The department doesn't believe any other tickets with the wrong information have been issued.
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- World War II veterans grateful for...
- Protest ride results in charges against...
- Darrien's day: Controversy put aside as man...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Utah facing affordable housing crisis,...
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 38
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- New definition of homeless would give... 24
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Saratoga Springs police chief calls... 18
- Love says commenting on Saratoga... 18