Commentary: BYU's loss to Notre Dame sums up season: National jitters, Mother Nature and playing conservatively
Against the Fighting Irish, BYU continued to play conservatively. With just three minutes remaining in the game and down by 10, the Cougars ran two consecutive run plays even though they had no timeouts remaining.
The Cougars already know where they're going bowling (Fight Hunger Bowl) this season, so why not make the most of these opportunities on a national stage by taking some chances?
Mother Nature: I don’t know what BYU did to offend the football gods or Mother Nature, but this year has brought on some strange moments. Looking on the bright side, at least, things can’t get much worse next year (knock on wood) ... right?
After waiting out two-hour rain delays during the first two games of the season (Virginia, Texas), the Cougars were faced to play in weather that even polar bears likely would have avoided. With the temperature in the high 20s and with wind blowing between 15 and 25 mph, the conditions felt more like single digits for fans and players. This certainly didn’t help the Cougars with their fast-paced attack as they ran just 83 plays against Notre Dame. While this might be great for some teams, this was low by BYU standards.
In order for independence to work, BYU will have to continue its winning ways. Not only that, but the Cougars are going to have to make the most of those opportunites and win some big games.
I am a recent graduate and hold a Bachelor of Arts degree in communications with an emphasis in journalism and sports communication. Twitter: Justingiles22 Email: email@example.com
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37