Commentary: BYU's loss to Notre Dame sums up season: National jitters, Mother Nature and playing conservatively
Against the Fighting Irish, BYU continued to play conservatively. With just three minutes remaining in the game and down by 10, the Cougars ran two consecutive run plays even though they had no timeouts remaining.
The Cougars already know where they're going bowling (Fight Hunger Bowl) this season, so why not make the most of these opportunities on a national stage by taking some chances?
Mother Nature: I don’t know what BYU did to offend the football gods or Mother Nature, but this year has brought on some strange moments. Looking on the bright side, at least, things can’t get much worse next year (knock on wood) ... right?
After waiting out two-hour rain delays during the first two games of the season (Virginia, Texas), the Cougars were faced to play in weather that even polar bears likely would have avoided. With the temperature in the high 20s and with wind blowing between 15 and 25 mph, the conditions felt more like single digits for fans and players. This certainly didn’t help the Cougars with their fast-paced attack as they ran just 83 plays against Notre Dame. While this might be great for some teams, this was low by BYU standards.
In order for independence to work, BYU will have to continue its winning ways. Not only that, but the Cougars are going to have to make the most of those opportunites and win some big games.
I am a recent graduate and hold a Bachelor of Arts degree in communications with an emphasis in journalism and sports communication. Twitter: Justingiles22 Email: email@example.com
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Utah football: Quarterback Kendal Thompson...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 112
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 36
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 29
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans... 19