This year's story is far from over for Real Salt Lake, who head to the MLS Cup in two weeks, and most are not thinking about next season yet.
However, as the Claret-and-Cobalt advanced past Portland on Sunday, the team also announced its 2014 regular season schedule. RSL will open the season with back-to-back matchups against the LA Galaxy, first in LA and then home at Rio Tinto Stadium.
Real Salt Lake's new schedule features a balanced approach to home and away games. In contrast to 2013, when RSL started the season on the road five of the seven beginning matches, next year Real will be home four of the first seven games through March and April.
Real Salt Lake's longest home stand and longest road trip will each be three games long. RSL will play at home almost every game in July, including the three-game home stand.
Here are some extra notes from Real Salt Lake's 2014 schedule press release:
- "Each of the League’s 19 clubs will play 34 matches, 17 at home and 17 away, during 35 weeks in this, Major League Soccer’s 19th season. ... Each club will play the same number of in-conference and out-of-conference games."
- MLS will take a three-week break in June for the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil.
- RSL will host games at Rio Tinto Stadium on the three major summer holidays: Memorial Day weekend (Saturday, May 24 v. FC Dallas), Independence Day (Friday, July 4 v. New England Revolution) and Pioneer Day (Thursday, July 24 v. Montreal Impact).
- "RSL will play three regular-season games in a span of nine days or less three times in the 2014 regular season."
- RSL will play five regular-season matches on Fridays in 2014: July 4 vs. New England, Aug. 22 at Dallas, Sept. 12 at Seattle, Sept. 19 vs. Colorado and Oct. 17 at Portland.
- For the second year in a row, RSL will finish the season with an away match at Portland on the weekend, followed by a midweek home game against Chivas.
Here is the Real Salt Lake 2014 regular season schedule:
Game Date Opponent Time (MT)
1 Sat., March 8 at LA Galaxy 8:30 p.m.
2 Sat., March 22 LA Galaxy 2 p.m. (NBCSN)
3 Sat., March 29 Toronto FC 7:30 p.m.
4 Sat., April 5 at Sporting Kansas City 6:30 p.m.
5 Sat., April 12 at Philadelphia Union 2 p.m.
6 Sat., April 19 Portland Timbers 7:30 p.m.
7 Sat., April 26 Vancouver Whitecaps FC 7:30 p.m.
8 Sat., May 3 at Chicago Fire 6:30 p.m.
9 Wed., May 7 at San Jose Earthquakes 8:30 p.m.
10 Sun., May 11 at Houston Dynamo 5 p.m.
11 Sat., May 17 Colorado Rapids 7:30 p.m.
12 Sat., May 14 FC Dallas 7:30 p.m.
13 Sat., May 31 at Seattle Sounders FC TBD
14 Wed., June 4 at Columbus Crew 5:30 p.m.
15 Sat., June 7 Portland Timbers 8 p.m.
16 Sat., June 28 at Chivas USA 8:30 p.m.
17 Fri., July 4 New England Revolution 8 p.m.
18 Sat., July 12 at LA Galaxy 8:30 p.m.
19 Sat., July 19 Vancouver Whitecaps FC 8 p.m.
20 Thurs., July 24 Montreal Impact 8 p.m.
21 Wed., July 30 New York Red Bulls 7 p.m. (ESPN2)
22 Sat., Aug. 2 at Colorado Rapids TBD
23 Sat., Aug. 9 DC United 8 p.m.
24 Sat., Aug. 16 Seattle Sounders FC 12:30 p.m. (NBCSN)
25 Fri., Aug. 22 at FC Dallas 7 p.m. (NBCSN)
26 Sat., Aug. 30 at San Jose Earthquakes 8:30 p.m.
27 Sat., Sept. 6 FC Dallas 8 p.m.
28 Fri., Sept. 12 at Seattle Sounders FC 8:30 p.m. (NBCSN)
29 Fri., Sept. 19 Colorado Rapids 8 p.m. (NBCSN)
30 Sat., Sept. 27 at Vancouver Whitecaps FC TBD
31 Sun., Oct. 5 at Chivas USA 5 p.m.Comment on this story
32 Sat., Oct. 11 San Jose Earthquakes 7:30 p.m.
33 Fri., Oct. 17 at Portland Timbers 8 p.m. (NBCSN)
34 Wed., Oct. 22 Chivas USA 7:30 p.m.
All information taken from realsaltlake.com's press release.