Police: Hit-and-run driver carried man 75 feet before fleeing
SALT LAKE CITY — Police are searching for the driver who fled after hitting a 65-year-old man as he was crossing the street.
The man was walking near 1000 West and 1700 South when he was struck about 6:50 p.m. by a silver car, Salt Lake City Police Lt. Carl Merino said. Police believe the man was knocked up on top of the car and carried about 75 feet before he fell off and the driver fled.
The man was not in a crosswalk and was wearing dark clothing, Merino said.
The man was taken to Intermountain Medical Center in critical condition with head and neck injuries, Merino said. His name was not immediately released.
Meanwhile, Merino said police know little about the car or its driver, though the vehicle likely has damage to the windshield and hood and is missing the passenger mirror following the crash.
Anyone with information about the car is asked to call Salt Lake City police at 801-799-3000.
— McKenzie Romero
- Carbon County deputy saves father, son from...
- Dispatchers answer man's repeated 911 calls...
- Sugar House man intends to sue police, city...
- Grading Utah schools, 2014: Top 20 highest...
- Fire rips through Orem structure under...
- Woman killed in Sandy shooting
- Gov. Herbert nominates 3rd District Judge...
- 4 interactive ways to teach your kids about...
- Majority of Utahns oppose moving state... 51
- Prison relocation sites down to four as... 50
- Obama signature all that's left in... 39
- End gun violence, say faith leaders on... 33
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 33
- Popular Utah County water recreation... 21
- Audit: Utah still relies heavily on... 16
- Utahns favor Count My Vote and SB54,... 15