Police: Hit-and-run driver carried man 75 feet before fleeing
SALT LAKE CITY — Police are searching for the driver who fled after hitting a 65-year-old man as he was crossing the street.
The man was walking near 1000 West and 1700 South when he was struck about 6:50 p.m. by a silver car, Salt Lake City Police Lt. Carl Merino said. Police believe the man was knocked up on top of the car and carried about 75 feet before he fell off and the driver fled.
The man was not in a crosswalk and was wearing dark clothing, Merino said.
The man was taken to Intermountain Medical Center in critical condition with head and neck injuries, Merino said. His name was not immediately released.
Meanwhile, Merino said police know little about the car or its driver, though the vehicle likely has damage to the windshield and hood and is missing the passenger mirror following the crash.
Anyone with information about the car is asked to call Salt Lake City police at 801-799-3000.
— McKenzie Romero
- After more than 6 years, 3 families yearn for...
- Strong winds cause damage, possibly fatal...
- Millcreek man faces child abuse homicide...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch headed to Israel to meet...
- About Utah: Want a ride to the past? Matt...
- New strategies eliminate long waitlist for...
- 7 crazy-awesome natural arches and bridges in...
- Thousands attend second Utah Lantern Fest
- With Trump on top, Romney will not... 89
- Utah GOP all in for Cruz, but Trump... 59
- Dog accused of biting child ordered to... 49
- Utah GOP leaders ready to support... 47
- Award recipient's affiliation draws ire... 36
- Climate change and national forests:... 33
- Robert F. Bennett, former three-term... 28
- S.L. City Council unsure what to expect... 21