Prep athletes of the week: Timpview quarterback Britain Covey, Bingham outside hitter Torre Glasker
Laura Seitz, Deseret News
BRITAIN COVEY, Timpview football: Covey helped Timpview High become only the sixth team in state history to capture 10 football state championships. The junior spearheaded the Thunderbirds’ upset over East High by completing 14 of 24 passes for 273 yards and two touchdowns, while adding 85 yards and an additional two scores on 17 carries.
He finished the 2013 campaign 12-0 behind center after inheriting the position in Week 3. During that time span, he threw for 1,890 yards and 26 touchdowns, and rushed for 1,264 yards and 18 scores.
“He’s a competitor,” Timpview coach Cary Whittingham said of Covey. "Anything and everything we could ask of him, he did. He literally commanded that offense, like a field general doing everything the coaches wanted him to do. He made very few mistakes, being real smart, being real athletic and doing it all.”
TORRE GLASKER, Bingham volleyball: The Bingham volleyball team relied on Torre Glasker's mental strength as much as her physical skill this season.
The sophomore outside hitter led the Miners to an undefeated region title and the 5A semi-finals.
“From an athletic stand point, she was our most consistent passer,” said Bingham head volleyball coach and Torre's mom Melissa Glasker. “She can pass so well, she really made our offense run.”
Torre averaged 9 kills per match and is also an all-state softball player. She works just as hard in the classroom maintaining a 3.9 GPA. Her maturity was invaluable in helping the Miners at state.
“She just doesn't want to lose,” said the coach. “The girls relied a lot on her strength, She was really resilient and composed at state.”
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33