Provo High to host 4th annual Wrestling Against Cancer Duals
Ravell Call, Deseret News
Provo will host the 4th annual Wrestling Against Cancer Duals on Tuesday, starting at 6 p.m.
The event will feature six separate duals. Several top teams from 4A and 5A will take part. This year, the focus will be to raise money for Bryce Thompson, who is battling leukemia. Thompson is the brother of Ric Thompson, died from brain cancer in 2010.
"Ric and his wife Angie are truly the inspiration of the event, and this was a way for me to honor them and their family struggle against cancer. Now with Bryce's diagnosis of leukemia, the event takes a different and meaningful turn, and I hope the wrestling community will continue to rally around this effort and the Thompson family," said event organizer Brian Preece.
"We should have some great, competitive dual meets this year with some new teams involved," Preece continued.
Two of the new teams will be Herriman and Davis. Herriman will take on Maple Mountain in one of the duals. Maple Mountain is the defending 4A state champion, and Herriman finished fifth. The Mustangs have moved up to 5A to compete this year and hope to be a contender in the larger division. Also new to the event is Davis, which will take on Westlake. Both teams have finished in the top 10 in the 5A and 4A respectively.
One of the more competitive duals promises to be between two teams that have attended the duals in the past. Layton, third in the 5A race last year, takes on Mountain View, fourth place in 4A last year. Both teams return several state placers and have high hopes for the 2013-14 season.
Host school Provo will take on Murray in the dual at 6 p.m. in what promises to be a competitive and close contest.
The format will have three duals taking place at 6 p.m. and another set of three at 8 p.m. The cost to spectators for the event is $5 for adults and $4 for students and seniors 65 and older. The event scheduled is:
North mat: Davis vs. Westlake
Center mat: Murray vs. Provo
South mat: Layton vs. Mountain View
North mat: Timpanogos vs. Timpview
Center mat: Herriman vs. Maple Mountain
South mat: West vs. Lone Peak
Press Release by Brian E. Preece--Associate Head Coach for Provo High Wrestling
- Utah secures commitments from two of Utah...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- Local flavor in the NBA (and beyond): Lillard...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football winner...
- Morning links: Urban Meyer returns to Utah...
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start employing...
- A Super Bowl 1st-timer, Utah native Sealver...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 64
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 41
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 22