Cedar City mom traded sex with 13-year-old daughter for utility payments, police say
CEDAR CITY — A woman who prosecutors say was prostituting out her 13-year-old daughter in order to pay for utilities now faces serious criminal charges.
The 35-year-old woman was charged Wednesday in Iron County's 5th District Court with two counts of rape of a child, a first-degree felony. The Deseret News is not naming the mother to protect the identity of the child.
Police determined that the mother "recruited" at least one man to have sex with her daughter, according to an Iron County sheriff's arrest warrant.
"It has been suggested that as long as the male perpetrator was willing to assist with the payment of utilities at the (mother's) apartment, he was allowed to share a bedroom with the 13-year-old female. Evidence also indicates the sexual intercourse was encouraged by (the mother)," the warrant states.
Investigators say the mother gave both the man and her daughter condoms and also gave them to a second man.
Bail was set at $50,000. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Dec. 4.
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- Employee error ruins 41 acres of Salt Lake...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls his...
- 4-year-old boy gets new ear with aid of a 3-D...
- BYU student claims he was evicted after...
- BYU student claims he was evicted after... 47
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 35
- Meetings to resolve Medicaid expansion... 29
- Critics worry firing squad law will... 28
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 23
- Tea party movement still strong,... 22
- Salt Lake City to become next Google... 17
- Firing squad's return in Utah may... 14