Cedar City mom traded sex with 13-year-old daughter for utility payments, police say
CEDAR CITY — A woman who prosecutors say was prostituting out her 13-year-old daughter in order to pay for utilities now faces serious criminal charges.
The 35-year-old woman was charged Wednesday in Iron County's 5th District Court with two counts of rape of a child, a first-degree felony. The Deseret News is not naming the mother to protect the identity of the child.
Police determined that the mother "recruited" at least one man to have sex with her daughter, according to an Iron County sheriff's arrest warrant.
"It has been suggested that as long as the male perpetrator was willing to assist with the payment of utilities at the (mother's) apartment, he was allowed to share a bedroom with the 13-year-old female. Evidence also indicates the sexual intercourse was encouraged by (the mother)," the warrant states.
Investigators say the mother gave both the man and her daughter condoms and also gave them to a second man.
Bail was set at $50,000. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Dec. 4.
- Man killed in avalanche had a passion for...
- About Utah: All the mac and cheese they can eat
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias measure
- Local religious leaders urge support for...
- Behind the masks: Why some Utahns choose...
- Cities, state battle panhandling through the...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- 14-year-old boy is losing his sight but sees...
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 56
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 34
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- Judge: Biological father will share... 28
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 24
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 22
- Local religious leaders urge support... 22
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 16