Cedar City mom traded sex with 13-year-old daughter for utility payments, police say
CEDAR CITY — A woman who prosecutors say was prostituting out her 13-year-old daughter in order to pay for utilities now faces serious criminal charges.
The 35-year-old woman was charged Wednesday in Iron County's 5th District Court with two counts of rape of a child, a first-degree felony. The Deseret News is not naming the mother to protect the identity of the child.
Police determined that the mother "recruited" at least one man to have sex with her daughter, according to an Iron County sheriff's arrest warrant.
"It has been suggested that as long as the male perpetrator was willing to assist with the payment of utilities at the (mother's) apartment, he was allowed to share a bedroom with the 13-year-old female. Evidence also indicates the sexual intercourse was encouraged by (the mother)," the warrant states.
Investigators say the mother gave both the man and her daughter condoms and also gave them to a second man.
Bail was set at $50,000. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Dec. 4.
- Security, authorities detain woman...
- River rafters discover wreckage of aircraft...
- BYU student parlays app idea into a life-changer
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to...
- 'I just can't say 'I'm sorry' enough': Woman...
- Police say man persuaded Provo High boys to...
- Police: More than 100 Sanpete County homes...
- Pentagon: Live anthrax samples mistakenly...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 44
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 37
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 21
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 17
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 16
- Mayor responds to pending harassment... 14
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after... 13
- BYU student parlays app idea into a... 12