Cedar City mom traded sex with 13-year-old daughter for utility payments, police say
CEDAR CITY — A woman who prosecutors say was prostituting out her 13-year-old daughter in order to pay for utilities now faces serious criminal charges.
The 35-year-old woman was charged Wednesday in Iron County's 5th District Court with two counts of rape of a child, a first-degree felony. The Deseret News is not naming the mother to protect the identity of the child.
Police determined that the mother "recruited" at least one man to have sex with her daughter, according to an Iron County sheriff's arrest warrant.
"It has been suggested that as long as the male perpetrator was willing to assist with the payment of utilities at the (mother's) apartment, he was allowed to share a bedroom with the 13-year-old female. Evidence also indicates the sexual intercourse was encouraged by (the mother)," the warrant states.
Investigators say the mother gave both the man and her daughter condoms and also gave them to a second man.
Bail was set at $50,000. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Dec. 4.
- Worth 1,000 words: Here's a look at the top...
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex harassment...
- Sculptor hopes new statue brings comfort to...
- Torn between two countries, family of missing...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- 'Princess' power: BYU to present stage...
- Conservative group yanks TV ads targeting...
- Photos: Thrill seekers take on stunt-filled 5K
- First prison relocation open house... 39
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- S.L. City Council, mayor seek... 29
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 20
- Utah lawmakers begin task to... 15
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global... 14
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 14