Cedar City mom traded sex with 13-year-old daughter for utility payments, police say
CEDAR CITY — A woman who prosecutors say was prostituting out her 13-year-old daughter in order to pay for utilities now faces serious criminal charges.
The 35-year-old woman was charged Wednesday in Iron County's 5th District Court with two counts of rape of a child, a first-degree felony. The Deseret News is not naming the mother to protect the identity of the child.
Police determined that the mother "recruited" at least one man to have sex with her daughter, according to an Iron County sheriff's arrest warrant.
"It has been suggested that as long as the male perpetrator was willing to assist with the payment of utilities at the (mother's) apartment, he was allowed to share a bedroom with the 13-year-old female. Evidence also indicates the sexual intercourse was encouraged by (the mother)," the warrant states.
Investigators say the mother gave both the man and her daughter condoms and also gave them to a second man.
Bail was set at $50,000. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Dec. 4.
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt status...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Motley Crue concert delayed about two hours...
- What consumers need to know about chip...
- Imagine Dragons treated like home team at...
- Merged resorts relying on familiar feel to...
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 298
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 141
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 106
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 77
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 67
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 39
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 35