Utah football: Utes determined to send seniors out with a win
Dean Hare, AP
PULLMAN, Wash. — Now that going bowling is out of the picture, the Utah Utes are looking ahead to Saturday’s season finale against Colorado at Rice-Eccles Stadium. Kickoff is set for noon.
It’ll be the final game for 19 seniors and sending them out on a winning note is this week’s primary motivation.
“That’s kind of what it’s boiled down to. That’s the last carrot out there,” said Utah coach Kyle Whittingham. “And the last step for our seniors that we want them to take is to end their college career on a positive and that’s a win at home and that’s what we’ve got in front of us.”
Sophomore quarterback Adam Schulz acknowledged that it’s a big deal.
“Extremely. The only thing left that we can do right now is win,” he said. “We’ve got to send them out the right way. No other option.”
Perhaps it’ll help ease the pain of leaving Washington State with a 49-37 loss that cost Utah a chance at bowl eligibility.
“It hurts. We knew we had to go 2-for-2 to make it to a bowl and losing this one really just knocks us out. It just hurts so much for the seniors,” junior wide receiver Dres Anderson said as he walked off the field at Martin Stadium. “We kind of went through the same thing last year. Seniors going out like that is just horrible and to have them go out like that again is ridiculous. But we’ve got to make sure we send them out right at home.”
Although Utah and Colorado have identical record of 4-7 overall and 1-7 in Pac-12 play, there’s an extra dose of pride on the line for the Utah seniors.
“We want to win the Thanksgiving (week) game and hopefully send the team off with a win and help the program out a little bit,” said senior captain Trevor Reilly.
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- Busch turns weekend into clean sweep with...
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- Kevin Durant leads US to second exhibition...
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 54
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 50
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 46
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 34
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 23
- Backfield to the future: Hill, Williams... 12