Utah football: Whittingham says Schulz grew as a quarterback
Dean Hare, AP
PULLMAN, Wash. — When it comes to starts, Utah quarterback Adam Schulz got off to a rough one in Saturday’s 49-37 loss at Washington State. In his second game in place of the injured Travis Wilson, Schulz threw two pick-sixes in the first quarter.
The sophomore, who wound up completing 21-of-46 passes for a career-high 347 yards and three touchdowns, was obviously disappointed about how things went early on. The interceptions helped the Cougars build an early 21-0 advantage.
“Two pick-sixes off the bat obviously is not helping the team,” Schulz said. “It’s completely on me, on my shoulders, all of it. There’s not much of a worse feeling than disappointing everybody.”
Schulz did acknowledge, however, that the Utes were eventually able to move the ball. They finished with 481 yards of total offense and 23 first downs, one more than Washington State.
“We settled in as an offense as a whole,” Schulz said. “We started clicking.”
Dres Anderson and Jake Murphy finished with 129 and 102 yards, respectively, becoming the first Utah receiving duo to top the century mark in a game since Steve Savoy and Paris Warren did in 2004. Schulz was never sacked and running back Kelvin York finished with 94 yards rushing and two touchdowns.
“I thought he grew today as a quarterback. I thought he took a step forward,” Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said of Schulz’s performance. “After those two pick-sixes, that could have been something where he went into a little bit of shock, but he didn’t. He hung in there and he kept his head up and finished with some pretty good numbers.”
Wilson, a captain who will be sidelined for the rest of the season with a head injury, made the trip to support his teammates.
Schulz said Wilson provided encouragement and told him to keep going after the interceptions.
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up...
- The 1990 NBA draft redone: See how a pair of...
- Syracuse sophomore Hunter Woodhall chases...
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby player...
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes are...
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders weigh in...
- Business-like Real Salt Lake stops Kreis in...
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes... 42
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 40
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 32
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 23
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 14
- NBA draft: Jazz should still find a... 11
- Morning links: SI features Frank... 11