High school football: Pine View coach Ray Hosner proud of team's effort in title-game loss
MATT GADE, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — With his players devastated after dropping a heartbreaker to Desert Hills on the final play of the game, Pine View coach Ray Hosner was remarkably upbeat congratulating Desert Hills players on their championship win.
Hosner took time to not only shake hands, but to give out hugs and hearty praise to each Thunder player he passed through the line following Desert Hills’ 27-21 victory Friday night at Rice-Eccles Stadium.
“I know almost all the kids on that team, and even though I’m disappointed our team couldn’t get it done, I’m very happy for each kid over there on Desert Hills,” Hosner said. “I go to church with a lot of them and I’m genuinely happy for them and wanted to let them know that.”
Hosner was also grateful for a great football game that saw his players fight back after digging a 14-0 hole for themselves early.
Running back Pano Tiatia led the comeback effort with scoring runs of 1 and 5 yards, with quarterback Kody Wilstead adding a 49-yard touchdown strike to Bladen Hosner. Tiatia finished with 75 yards on 15 carries on top of Wilstead’s 332 yards passing.
“It was a great high school football game and I’m proud of our kids for not quitting,” Hosner said. “They fought hard, but we just didn’t have some things go for us at the end and that’s football. That’s how the game goes sometimes, but give the credit to Desert Hills for making one more play than we did.”
The team's title-game effort characterized the season, according to Hosner.
"Our kids fought hard all year and battled as hard as they could," Hosner said. "They have nothing to hang their heads about because of the work they put in and how they never quit. Unfortunately we came up just short, but we'll work hard to get back here and maybe get a better result."
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- Friday night lights central, week 5: Scores,...
- High school football: Felt's Facts for Week...
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- BYU defense, offense being noticed for...
- Parry's Power Guide for week 5
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 105
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 70
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 49
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 44