Westminster basketball: Southern Oregon hands Griffins a 77-63 loss
KLAMATH FALLS, Ore. — The Westminster College men’s basketball team opened the Midland Empire Classic by losing, 77-63, to Southern Oregon on Friday at Danny Miles Court on the Oregon Tech campus.
Westminster (4-3) never led in the game and trailed by as many as 10 in the first half before hitting intermission down by four, 42-38. Southern Oregon (3-1) used a 12-2 run early in the second half to build a 56-44 lead at the 14:33 mark. The Griffins would not get closer than nine the rest of the way and eventually trailed by 17.
The Griffins shot 45 percent from the floor in the game, but they went just 2-of-14 from beyond the arc. They totaled 14 assists on 27 field goals with only seven turnovers. SOU shot 50.8 percent and had a 35-28 rebounding advantage with 21 assists and 11 turnovers.
Tallon Robertson and Blake Skidmore led Westminster with 16 points apiece. Robertson made eight of his 11 shots, and he pulled down four rebounds. He has now been in double figures in all seven games this season. Skidmore added three steals to his 6-of-13 shooting night. Jordan Pryor added 11 points off the bench.
David Sturner led four Raiders in double figures with 19 points while grabbing seven rebounds. Jeff Bush added 18 points.
Westminster returns to the court Saturday when it faces Oregon Tech at 8:30 p.m. MST in the finale of the Midland Empire Classic.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 30
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19