Utah Jazz: Big comeback falls short as Mavs hold off Jazz 103-93
"It’s been a long day, but that’s part of being a professional," Williams said. "Sometimes you have to face a little adversity, and I think I might have today, but I fought through it and tried to be here for my teammates and my coaching staff."
Garrett, who didn’t play in the first half, dished out eight assists and scored seven points in a spirited 16-minute second-half effort.
Forward Jeremy Evans, who has yet to miss a shot this season in 11 attempts, had two blocks and six of his 14 points in the comeback.
Ultimately, however, the Mavericks (9-4) proved to have too much firepower.
Point guard Jose Calderon followed Favors’ slam with a weak-side 3-pointer when the Jazz were concentrating defensive manpower on Dirk Nowitzki and Monta Ellis drove-and-dished to the open Spaniard.
“He made a big shot for them,” Corbin said, “and that gave them some separation to finish the game.”
Ellis, who’s been on a tear in his new NBA home, scored 26 points with six assists, while center Samuel Dalembert (12 rebounds) and Nowitzki each fired in 18 points for the high-scoring Mavs.
“Our first half was very good,” Dallas coach Rick Carlisle said. “The second half we gave in to playing the score instead of continuing to do things the right way. They made runs. We have to give (the Jazz) credit. They stuck with it, played hard and made big plays.”
Now if the Jazz would only start doing that when they weren’t behind by four touchdowns.
NOTES: Burke finished with five points on 2-of-8 shooting, five rebounds and three assists in 20 minutes in his second game back from finger surgery. Evans hit all seven of his shots after making his first four in his season debut Wednesday. Corbin: “Another great effort. He shot the ball well. Defensively he competed. He’s doing a lot of good things on the floor as he works his way back into shape.” Hayward shot 5 for 12 after missing his first two shots. Utah hit 50 percent of its shots for only the second time this season.
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson has recovered...
- High school football: Louis Wong, Tony...
- Utah football fall practice position preview:...
- Pac-12 commissioner 'delighted' that... 145
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 97
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 94
- Utes notebook: Kyle Whittingham says... 86
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 69
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 37
- Playoffs ‘almost... 34
- Utah football fall practice position... 23