SOUTH BEND, Ind. — Strange and adverse weather has seemed to follow BYU around for much of this season.
First, there was the two-hour delay due to lighting storms during the Cougars' season-opening loss at Virginia. Then, one week later in Provo, a torrential downpour postponed the kickoff of the Cougars’ win over Texas for two hours.
Last week, BYU and Idaho State slogged in the rain and snow on senior day at LaVell Edwards Stadium.
As the Cougars face Notre Dame Saturday (1:30 p.m. MST, NBC), the field at Notre Dame Stadium could be a frozen tundra.
The forecast is calling for cloudy skies, snow showers, bone-chilling 20-mile-an-hour winds and freezing temperatures.
Those wintry conditions could have an impact on the outcome of the game.
Exposure to the elements — possible frostbite and hypothermia — wasn’t the kind of exposure the Cougars were looking for when they scheduled the Fighting Irish.
But they’ll make the best of it.
“If it does snow, then there’s not much I can do about it,” said senior defensive lineman Eathyn Manumaleuna. “We’ve just got to play our game.”
Running back Jamaal Williams doesn’t mask his antipathy for harsh weather.
“With all my might, I hate the snow; I hate the rain; I hate the cold,” he said. “I just have to play in it. It just gets me mad. It makes it better for the game because I’m really mad when it’s snowing and raining. When it’s sunny, I’ll be thanking God every day. Hopefully, it won’t rain or snow. But I’d rather take snow than rain. But if it snows, you won’t see a smile on my face the whole game.”
Outside linebackers coach Kelly Poppinga relished playing in the snow when he was a player.
“I love it. Love it. Give me the snow,” he said. “The snow should be to our benefit for a defensive guy. I loved playing in the elements. I was telling the players, ‘These are the games you remember. You don’t remember the sunny, warm days. You remember the games where it was snowing and hailing and windy and cold.' They’re excited about it.
"They’ve been through it all from Virginia to Texas to last week. We’ve played in some bad weather. We’re not even talking about it. We know it’s going to be cold, windy and snowy. They’ve already been prepared for those things throughout the season. It’s not a big deal to us.”
- Damian Lillard stars in hilarious Adidas ad...
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on continued...
- BYU football: Cougars land commitment from...
- CougarLinks: Former Cornhusker reportedly...
- Danny Berger and Jordan Stone to play at...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz suffer weird loss (win?) in...
- Bingham kicker commits to Utah after...
- Utah Jazz: Corbin, players have one last game...
- BYU football: Cougars land commitment... 47
- ESPN report: Jabari Parker rules out... 41
- CougarLinks: Former Cornhusker... 40
- Bingham kicker commits to Utah after... 35
- Are Thursday and Friday games really... 34
- Utah football: Utes are eager to pick... 33
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 31
- Utah Jazz: Jazz suffer weird loss... 24