Chuckle through Val Chadwick Bagley's new comic book, 'Happy Are We!'
It's been said that if you can't laugh at yourself, you're missing most of life's jokes.
Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will find plenty of self-depreciating good humor in Val Chadwick Bagley's new book, "Happy Are We!"
In 1978, Bagley's first cartoon about the cultural idiosyncracies of Mormons was published in the LDS Church's "New Era" magazine. Now, 35 years later, more than 100 of Bagley's comics about Mormonism are compiled into this volume.
In one scene, one young boy lounges in front of a television while speaking to his brother, "I couldn't find the remote for three days. Someone hid it under my scriptures."
In another, a missionary slumps across his mailbox in despair. His companion amiably apologizes while holding up a picture of a tractor, "Oops, my mistake! It's an ad from John Deere, not a 'Dear John.'"
Appropriate for all ages, "Happy Are We!" showcases Bagley's talent for drawing expression filled characters interacting in humorous situations. His illustrations are simple, yet human, with a nod to Peanuts creator Charles M. Schulz. The one- to two-line captions are witty and children as young as 7 will be able to appreciate many of the jokes in the book.
At 5.5 by 8.5 inches, "Happy Are We!" is the perfect size to keep around for laughs on a coffee table — ahem — hot chocolate table.
Miranda H. Lotz is a military wife, mother of five, and book lover who currently lives in Colorado Springs.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces rare,...
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to...
- Ask Angela: I suffered from depression,...
- Can the return of 'Cosmos' extend the scope...
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'...
- Church History Symposium examines Mormonism's...
- LDS World: Receiving comfort in our afflictions
- Gay marriage debate is changing how... 89
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'... 63
- When Satan steals your motherhood 46
- Defending the Faith: Where is Mount Sinai? 24
- Local religious leaders urge support... 24
- Director Darren Aronofsky’s... 20
- Actress Leah Remini criticized after... 15
- Some LDS missionaries coming home from... 13