Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — In addition to the lights, decorations and music that will abound on Temple Square after Thanksgiving, a special event will be taking place in the Salt Lake Tabernacle on Saturday, Nov. 30.
“A Celebration of Christ: An Interfaith Concert” will return for its second year with performances at 4:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. This year’s concert will feature Vocal Point, Jenny Oaks Baker, Kevin Olusola and the Engemann Brothers. Also performing will be the Snow College Orchestra and Choir, interfaith choirs and various guest artists from differing denominations.
Special effects will be used to turn the dome of the Tabernacle into an Italian cathedral, a night sky, the nativity and more, according to the concert's website at lds.org/events.
The songs performed will include familiar Christmas music combined with inspirational selections. Music composer and arranger Taryn Elkins described how songs such as “Silent Night/Be Still My Soul” could bring tears, while a “Sleigh Ride/Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam” piece may feel more fun.
Elkins said one of her goals for the concert is for audience members to “feel a little bit of everything.”
“What I would like audience members to feel is just, whatever faith you are, the commonality of all of our religions in Christ and just being able to celebrate that,” she said. “Celebration, to me, means all of those different emotions.”
Baker, a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, said she is excited to join with other artists of different faiths to perform in the Tabernacle and share her testimony through music.
“I think sacred music has a very powerful spirit to it, and I think it can go beyond words. Sometimes it has words, and sometimes it doesn’t, but the emotions are always there. I always try to take people on a musical journey and have them leave better than they came,” said Baker, a violinist and recording artist.
Tickets for the concert, which is being presented by Foundation 4Life, are $10 for general admission and $25 for VIP seating. They are available by calling 801-570-0080 or visiting lds.org/events. A $1.50 convenience fee is added to the cost of each ticket purchased online.
For more information on “A Celebration of Christ” and other Temple Square events, visit lds.org/events.
- Two LDS temples will be closing for extensive...
- LDS young man makes lasting impression on the...
- The Clean Cut: Alex Boye releases original...
- Little Lamb: A babe in white linen on white...
- 'Did great-grandpa know Joseph Smith?' New...
- Video of world's largest live Nativity...
- Ask Angela: LDS bridal showers are out of...
- Elder Ballard shares gentle counsel on...
- Ask Angela: LDS bridal showers are out... 47
- End gun violence, say faith leaders on... 29
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir concert... 10
- Video of world's largest live Nativity... 9
- So wait? Pets don't go to heaven? 8
- LDS young man makes lasting impression... 7
- Hamblin & Peterson: Who were the 'wise... 6
- 'Wrestling with God': How much does... 5