WEST JORDAN — The wife of Stan Riley, a school bus driver killed in a crash last week, said her husband loved his job and the kids he served.
Riley, 55, drove a bus for Jordan School District for 11 years and was near the end of his shift when the accident happened last Friday.
Police said he was heading north on the Mountain View Corridor at the intersection with Old Bingham Highway when he collided with a semitrailer. The impact sent the school bus into a garbage truck. There were not students on the bus at the time.
Witnesses said the crash wasn't Riley's fault.
Police said it appeared the semitrailer's brakes went out. The drivers of the semitrailer and garbage truck were not injured.
Jeanette Riley was waiting for her husband, as she did each day when he got off work, at the bus garage. That day, she said, he was late, and it wasn't like him.
"He didn't show up, and I called him twice," said Jeanette Riley, adding that she began to sense something was wrong.
She waited in the parking lot for about 20 minutes before someone from Jordan District found her and gave her the news.
"I didn't have any idea that this was gonna be it," Jeanette Riley said.
She said she didn't want to talk about the accident but rather on the memory of her husband, with whom she had four sons and five grandchildren.
"He's a very special man, and we loved him very much, and he loved his family," Jeanette Riley said. "He was a great grandpa. He was a great father to his boys."
She said her husband also loved the kids on his bus.
"He stayed on the same route," Jeanette Riley said. "That was one thing he always made sure of, that he had the same route for his kids. He loved his kids."
Stan Riley's funeral was held Wednesday.
- Son of murdered woman felt peace in '91, now...
- Missionary, police testify against man...
- Attorney general deciding whether to appeal...
- Police reviewing possible nightclub photos of...
- Parents say daughter didn't understand her...
- Utah mother who left 11-month-old in hot car...
- Trial ordered for Cameo Crispi, accused of...
- Man charged with killing baby in Ogden told...
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 49
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 44
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 39
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 35
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 34
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 29
- Woman accused of leaving young son... 22