Book review: ‘The Unfaithful Queen’ is more fiction than history
Editor's note: This is one of a half dozen books that explores the lives of different figures in British royal history, including several set in the court of Henry VIII.
"THE UNFAITHFUL QUEEN: A Novel of Henry VIII's Fifth Wife," by Carolly Erickson, St. Martin's Press, $14.99, 291 pages (f)
Set in Tudor England between 1536 and 1542, “The Unfaithful Queen” is the story of Catherine Howard, the fifth wife of the notorious Henry VIII. Because of its historical setting, much can be learned regarding the history of this era’s English aristocracy. However, the main focus is the various sexual escapades of young Catherine, making this book closer to erotica than actual historical fiction.
The events in Catherine Howard’s life showcased in this novel, which has recently been released in paperback, are historically accurate. However, because little is known for sure about this past queen’s actual feelings and words, author Carolly Erickson has taken many liberties. She assumes a lot regarding Catherine’s motivations and thoughts, leaving this book very much a novel.
Centering on Catherine’s romantic interludes, both sexual intercourse and foreplay are portrayed. Many profanities and crude references are made. Violence, such as beheadings and torture, are also described.
Erickson is a resident of Hawaii and author of several historical fiction novels.
Elizabeth Reid has bachelor's degrees in economics and history. She has worked in retail, medical billing, catering, education and business fields. Her favorite occupation is that of wife and mother. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sutton Foster promises 'an intimate look at...
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- 5 takeaways from a punch-less summer box office
- 'Guardians' stays atop cinemas amid worst...
- 10 celebrity couples who have made marriage work
- For gamers, combating online abuse not easy
- Salt Lake Comic Con and Utah Symphony present...
- Book review: Teens' battle between light,...
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket... 7
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:... 4
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt wed privately... 3
- Fallon to lead honors as Leno wins top... 2
- Linda & Richard Eyre: How media could... 2
- 10 things to know before going to Salt... 1
- 13 ways Disney could use drones at its... 1