Book review: 'Shadow on the Crown' is a stunning, historical debut
Editor's note: This is one of a half dozen books that explore the lives of different figures in British royal history, including several set in the court of Henry VIII.
Author Patricia Bracewell's words have a life of their own in "Shadow on the Crown," making for a stunning, well-researched, historical fiction debut, which will be re-released in paperback in December.
Bracewell writes with a rich, descriptive quality that shows the reader what it was like to be 15-year-old Emma of Normandy in the year 1002. From the minute details of the wardrobe and daily tasks to the wonderous, vast landscapes and castles, Bracewell successfully transports the reader back into a time when a girl's life depended on the trust of her husband and her ability to bear a son.
The accurate dialogue should keep the readers immersed into the story and help them attach themselves to Emma as she tolerates her husband, avoids the wrath of Elgiva (a mistress who covets the crown) and falls in love with her husband's son, Athelstan.
There isn't any inappropriate language. The relationship between the king and Emma is harsh sexually, but there aren't any inappropriate references.
The alternating points of view should further endear readers to the characters and entice them to read on into the trilogy.
- 60 things you might not know about your...
- 10 celebrity couples who have made marriage work
- Ron Perlman added to Salt Lake Comic Con...
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:...
- 13 ways Disney could use drones at its parks
- 10 books that you were forced to read in...
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge is...
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket... 7
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:... 4
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt wed privately... 3
- Fallon to lead honors as Leno wins top... 2
- Is 'Harry Potter' actually about mental... 2
- EA Sports puts Damian Lillard on the... 2
- Miley Cyrus about VMA success: 'I'm in... 1
- 10 things to know before going to Salt... 1