Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake County Mayor Ben McAdams has announced that Brigham Mellor has been hired as the new economic development director for the townships and communities of the unincorporated area of the county.
Mellor will join McAdams’ economic development team on Dec. 9.
Mellor has been economic research manager for EDCUtah for the past four years. EDCUtah is the private, nonprofit organization that collaborates with state and local governments and private industry to attract new economic investment.
In that role, he produced all of the EDCUtah economic publications and provided research data to more than 70 companies that have expanded or relocated to Utah. He is a member of the American Economic Association, the International Economic Development Council and the Utah Economic Development Alliance.
Mellor holds both an undergraduate and a master’s degree in economics from the University of Utah.
Mellor says that over the last two years Utah has recruited some 22,000 jobs to the state through economic development efforts and while 60 percent of those companies and jobs landed in Salt Lake County, none landed in the unincorporated area.
“With its population and land resources combined, unincorporated Salt Lake County would be the second largest 'city' in the state," Mellor said. "I’ve spent the last four years preparing for an opportunity such as this. It’s time for unincorporated county to get its piece of the economic development pie."
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of Mormon'...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- Canceled Utah race renews fears of shrinking...
- Is report on building prison in Draper...
- About Utah: Thousands served by one good idea
- With Boston out, another Salt Lake Olympics...
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 84
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 52
- Does secret southern Utah meeting mean... 52
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 49
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 33
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 23
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 16
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 14