Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake County Mayor Ben McAdams has announced that Brigham Mellor has been hired as the new economic development director for the townships and communities of the unincorporated area of the county.
Mellor will join McAdams’ economic development team on Dec. 9.
Mellor has been economic research manager for EDCUtah for the past four years. EDCUtah is the private, nonprofit organization that collaborates with state and local governments and private industry to attract new economic investment.
In that role, he produced all of the EDCUtah economic publications and provided research data to more than 70 companies that have expanded or relocated to Utah. He is a member of the American Economic Association, the International Economic Development Council and the Utah Economic Development Alliance.
Mellor holds both an undergraduate and a master’s degree in economics from the University of Utah.
Mellor says that over the last two years Utah has recruited some 22,000 jobs to the state through economic development efforts and while 60 percent of those companies and jobs landed in Salt Lake County, none landed in the unincorporated area.
“With its population and land resources combined, unincorporated Salt Lake County would be the second largest 'city' in the state," Mellor said. "I’ve spent the last four years preparing for an opportunity such as this. It’s time for unincorporated county to get its piece of the economic development pie."
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- 'Our lives have been better for having her,'...
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters in...
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School District...
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage...
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as national...
- Students dress in Sunday best to honor young...
- Mother of slain baby to serve 90 days in jail
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 68
- Executive action brings 'temporary... 50
- Groups petition for gun bans from... 34
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 29
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 27
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage... 22
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as... 21
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 20