Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake County Mayor Ben McAdams has announced that Brigham Mellor has been hired as the new economic development director for the townships and communities of the unincorporated area of the county.
Mellor will join McAdams’ economic development team on Dec. 9.
Mellor has been economic research manager for EDCUtah for the past four years. EDCUtah is the private, nonprofit organization that collaborates with state and local governments and private industry to attract new economic investment.
In that role, he produced all of the EDCUtah economic publications and provided research data to more than 70 companies that have expanded or relocated to Utah. He is a member of the American Economic Association, the International Economic Development Council and the Utah Economic Development Alliance.
Mellor holds both an undergraduate and a master’s degree in economics from the University of Utah.
Mellor says that over the last two years Utah has recruited some 22,000 jobs to the state through economic development efforts and while 60 percent of those companies and jobs landed in Salt Lake County, none landed in the unincorporated area.
“With its population and land resources combined, unincorporated Salt Lake County would be the second largest 'city' in the state," Mellor said. "I’ve spent the last four years preparing for an opportunity such as this. It’s time for unincorporated county to get its piece of the economic development pie."
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of Mormon'...
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- Living — or dying — with...
- Sandy mailman's plea for books gets worldwide...
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- With Boston out, another Salt Lake Olympics...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 260
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 97
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 87
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 68
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 61
- Does secret southern Utah meeting mean... 53
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 35