Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Gary Herbert has named Jacey Skinner his new general counsel and has announced that Ron Gordon will now serve in an elevated role as a member of the governor's senior staff and criminal justice policy adviser.
Skinner takes the place of John A. Pearce, whom the Utah Senate recently confirmed as a Utah Appeals Court judge.
Skinner has been director of the Utah Sentencing Commission since 2008, while Gordon will continue in his role as executive director of the Commission on Criminal and Juvenile Justice.
As director of the commission, Skinner has developed and published sentencing guidelines and advised the Legislature, the governor and the judicial council regarding the sentencing and release of juvenile and adult offenders. She is the current president of the National Association of Sentencing Commissions.
Skinner previously was an assistant district attorney with Salt Lake County. She received a bachelor's degree from Utah State University and a Juris Doctor from the J. Reuben Clark Law School at Brigham Young University.
Prior to his commission appointment, Gordon served as the director of the Office of Crime Victim Reparations, coordinator of the Criminal Justice Advisory Council in Salt Lake County, director of the Utah Sentencing Commission, and staff attorney to the Commission on Criminal and Juvenile Justice. He received his bachelor of science from BYU in 1995 and his Juris Doctor from the University of Utah in 1998.
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Conrad Truman found guilty of murdering wife...
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- Teen accused of killing 15-year-old makes...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 87
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 60
- Federal government extends same-sex... 40
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 29
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 24
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 17
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 16