Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Gary Herbert has named Jacey Skinner his new general counsel and has announced that Ron Gordon will now serve in an elevated role as a member of the governor's senior staff and criminal justice policy adviser.
Skinner takes the place of John A. Pearce, whom the Utah Senate recently confirmed as a Utah Appeals Court judge.
Skinner has been director of the Utah Sentencing Commission since 2008, while Gordon will continue in his role as executive director of the Commission on Criminal and Juvenile Justice.
As director of the commission, Skinner has developed and published sentencing guidelines and advised the Legislature, the governor and the judicial council regarding the sentencing and release of juvenile and adult offenders. She is the current president of the National Association of Sentencing Commissions.
Skinner previously was an assistant district attorney with Salt Lake County. She received a bachelor's degree from Utah State University and a Juris Doctor from the J. Reuben Clark Law School at Brigham Young University.
Prior to his commission appointment, Gordon served as the director of the Office of Crime Victim Reparations, coordinator of the Criminal Justice Advisory Council in Salt Lake County, director of the Utah Sentencing Commission, and staff attorney to the Commission on Criminal and Juvenile Justice. He received his bachelor of science from BYU in 1995 and his Juris Doctor from the University of Utah in 1998.
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- LDS missionary Mason Wells returns home 37...
- Arches National Park wants to ID those...
- Utah woman's secret: Ted Bundy tried to kill...
- Women called heroes for reviving high school...
- BYU will buy Provo High School for $25M,...
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support medical...
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 50
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah 48
- BYU will buy Provo High School for... 47
- GOP's hard feelings over SB54 play part... 43
- Waiting on 'young invincibles' 40
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 40
- Sen. Ted Cruz secures second Utah... 27
- Council approves policy banning dating... 23