C.S. Lewis' writings have profound effect on Latter-day Saints
When reading Lewis, one is struck by the extraordinary breadth and depth of his erudition and, simultaneously, with the absolute absence of any self-absorption. His dear friend, Owen Barfield, described this quality: “What I think is true is, that at a certain stage in his life he deliberately ceased to take any interest in himself except as a kind of spiritual alumnus taking his moral finals and I suggest that what began as deliberate choice became at length (as he had no doubt always intended it should) an ingrained and effortless habit of soul. Self-knowledge, for him, had come to mean recognition of his own weaknesses and shortcomings and nothing more. At best, there was so much else, in letters and in life, that he found much more interesting,” as written in "Owen Barfield on C.S. Lewis."
Lewis shines the light of his extraordinary insight and vision and his submissive spirit on the issues of our daily, mortal existence and helps us appreciate the profound truths of the gospel as they apply to us.
He perhaps explained best the source of his vision: “I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”
On this anniversary, like so many others, I am grateful to Lewis for helping me see life and eternity through the lens of Christianity with an increased brightness of clarity and hope.
James Jardine is a lawyer who has taught classes at the University of Utah honors program on C.S. Lewis.
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to...
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'...
- Local religious leaders urge support for...
- LDS World: Receiving comfort in our afflictions
- Actress Leah Remini criticized after...
- Returned Mormon missionaries in college...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Temple tax: European court rules LDS... 100
- Gay marriage debate is changing how... 84
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'... 56
- When Satan steals your motherhood 44
- Defending the Faith: Where is Mount Sinai? 24
- Director Darren Aronofsky’s... 20
- Local religious leaders urge support... 20
- Actress Leah Remini criticized after... 14