Man dies of stab wound; Salt Lake police notified hours later
SALT LAKE CITY — Police believe a man from the Salt Lake homeless shelter died of a stab wound in an apparent homicide Wednesday night.
But investigators weren't notified of possible criminal activity until the victim had already been taken to the hospital where the injury was discovered, said Salt Lake police detective Veronica Montoya. The man later died at the hospital from a stab wound to the abdomen.
An ambulance was dispatched to the northeast corner of the intersection outside the shelter, 210 S. Rio Grande, at 6 p.m. But Montoya said the incident was not originally reported as a stabbing.
"I don't believe so. Otherwise officers would have probably went to the scene before now," Montoya said. "But we didn't hear about it until he passed away."
The man, who has been identified but his name has not been released pending notification of family members, died several hours after he was taken to the hospital, Montoya said. Police weren't called until about 2:30 a.m. Thursday.
The victim was a black man in his late 40s and police are hoping someone in the area saw something to help with their investigation, Salt Lake police detective Cody Lougy said.
"This is an area that is very well-traveled both by pedestrians and vehicles, and so if someone was driving by and saw something at that particular intersection, just give us a call," Lougy said. "It could be a person, it could be a vehicle, or maybe they witnessed an altercation a block from there at the park or near the shelter area."
Investigators were unsure whether the man was stabbed near the shelter or if the attack occurred somewhere else and he either walked or was dropped off at the shelter, Lougy said.
Anyone with information is asked to call Salt Lake police at 801-799-3000 or to text 274637, beginning messages with the keyword TIPSLCPD. Tipsters can remain anonymous.
Contributing: McKenzie Romero
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- LDS missionary critically injured in Oklahoma...
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate...
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- Water levels in Great Salt Lake approach...
- Utah County teen made 'swatting' threats...
- House Speaker Becky Lockhart is running for...
- Stranger donates vehicle to Bountiful...
- Salem man found guilty in 2013 shooting death...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 58
- Utah argues for more time to file... 42
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 34
- Government regulation has become like... 32
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic... 29
- House Speaker Becky Lockhart is running... 25
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 23