There's someone special in your life, and you want to know whether to keep the spark alive. Here are thirteen things that indicate a healthy, happy relationship. If the majority apply to you, keep him in your life. If you aren't feeling the love, don't be afraid to make some changes.
1. You're happy. First things first, if you are unhappy on a regular basis, get out of there. Make sure your happiness begins within yourself. Those who rely on their significant other for ALL of their happiness usually don't make it very far.
2. You know each other's families. You don't have to go to every family event, but if you're familiar with his siblings and parents and have met a few of them, you're good to go. Secret relationships may be fun, but anything lasting means you're joining the family.
3. You are yourself. You are not afraid to tell him secrets, let him know when you're in a bad mood, or be a little goofy. You can be relaxed and comfortable with the person you are.
4. You laugh. Maybe he's not one of the three stooges, but if you are enjoying yourself and laughing a little bit each day, things are going good. Men pride themselves in their humor, and if his isn't working for you, you know what to do.
5. You don't have to talk all the time. Silence or pauses aren't uncomfortable when you are together, and you don't feel awkward. Good relationships don't require constant communication.
6. You communicate. On the flip side of number five, a healthy relationship is dependent upon communication. Being open, honest, and talkative with each other is the only way you will get to know each other more. Keep those lines of communication open. The worst way to ruin a relationship is to misunderstand or complicate things.
7. There is little to no drama. If your relationship feeds off the daily drama, someone is going to crack and it will not last long. If you find yourself angry, confused, depressed, or just fed up, it is definitely not a healthy thing to be in.
8. You have balance. If you are spending every waking minute with this guy, odds are you have lost a lot of friends. If you are bringing your friends to every date night, odds are you and this guy aren't serious. Find that balance between having both of your own lives and being a part of each other's.
9. There is spontaneity. If you have fallen into a tedious routine, face the red flag and realize that any healthy relationship has an element of fun to it. That doesn't mean every day is a carnival adventure, but don't let things get predictably boring
10. You are learning. A good relationship causes you to think, to challenge, and to grow. If you are not learning or growing, then maybe he isn't the one. In my best relationships, I have figured out more about the person I am and the goals I want in my life.
11. You have the same goals. Aside from happiness level, this is perhaps the second biggest factor in determining a relationship. If you both want the same things, share the same ideals, and want the same results, success will occur. If you have no idea what his goals or desires are, it's time to kick up the communication.
12. He makes the effort to talk with and be around you. Any one-sided relationship will never work. Both sides need to be invested and interested in order for this healthy relationship to flourish. If you are constantly reaching out first or waiting for a text message all day, change something.
13. You feel safe. If you are continually questioning him or doubting your partner, seek safety somewhere else. The healthiest relationships are ones where both people feel safe, loved, and at home.
Maybe you haven't found your Prince Charming yet, or maybe you're reconsidering if he really is charming at all. Don't overanalyze these thirteen signs. Every relationship is personal, so don't be so fast to leave him if he isn't exactly perfect today. Find the best parts of your partner and figure out if your relationship has a flourishing future.
Jena Koford--Writer, Author, Composer.
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a hobby,...
- A community comes together to support a...
- Want your marriage to last? Have another child
- Why do we need an R-rated Hobbit movie?
- U.S. kids react — hilariously —...
- 13-year-old keeps dad alive after he was...
- As Common Core results trickle in, initial...
- The Clean Cut: Children taste dark chocolate...
- Why do we need an R-rated Hobbit movie? 15
- Want your marriage to last? Have... 12
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a... 9
- Sherry Young: A mother's glimpse into... 5
- Ground to be broken Thursday afternoon... 5
- Trust, forgiveness and repentance are... 5
- As Common Core results trickle in,... 3
- The Clean Cut: 5-year-old British boy... 3