Utah Jazz notes: Trey Burke, Jeremy Evans make season debuts
Burke said he feels no discomfort in his index finger, taped against his middle finger, and his shots feel natural. He noted that the form on his shot has changed. He now has to shoot with his pinkie down where he was shooting with all of his fingers down on the release before the injury.
The playmaker wasn’t allowed to run until two weeks ago, but he kept his conditioning up as much as possible by riding a stationary bike. Last week, he was allowed to begin one-on-one workouts along with dribbling and shooting.
So far, so good.
“He’s looking good,” Corbin said. “He’s looking better and better every day as we've been working him out, and he feels good about getting back on the floor."
The Jazz traded their 14th and 21st picks — Shabazz Muhammad and Gorgui Dieng — to Minnesota in exchange for No. 9 selection Burke this offseason.
Evans was equally excited to make his season debut. He injured his rotator cuff while dunking against Portland in the preseason and his been sidelined ever since.
“Finally. Man, I’m been waiting for a minute (lots of minutes),” Evans said. “I’m just excited, very excited.”
Evans had troubles lifting his arm above his head until recently, but he feels confident enough to dunk and is trying to get his shooting rhythm back.
"If I couldn’t dunk, I was probably going to have to say I can’t go," he said. "As long as I can do that and get rebounds and play defense (I'll play)."
Corbin's happy to have his energy back on the court.
"We’re excited to have him back and I know he’s excited to be back because he was disappointed," Corbin said. "He was expecting big things for himself this year early, but we delayed it a little bit."
- BYU looking for another defensive turnaround...
- Lindon father of five sets world record in...
- Amy Donaldson: James Lawrence had to do...
- Morning links: Utah is on the rise in the...
- Family man: Former Ute, NFL standout Sione...
- Phil Steele gives tempered assessment of...
- With Boston out, another Salt Lake Olympics...
- Kincade: Poor shooting, signings have put...
- Links: Utes basketball considered a... 58
- Phil Steele gives tempered assessment... 56
- Analysis: Can Jimmer Fredette resurrect... 46
- BYU looking for another defensive... 35
- Morning links: Utah is on the rise in... 35
- Utah Utes backup quarterback Donovan... 23
- Kincade: Poor shooting, signings have... 11
- Family man: Former Ute, NFL standout... 10