LDS church member dies, 2 missionaries injured in car crash in Ukraine
SALT LAKE CITY — A car accident Saturday in Ukraine killed a local LDS Church member and injured two sister missionaries.
"Maria P. Ivashchenko died from injuries she sustained in the accident," said Cody Craynor, a spokesman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The two missionaries are serving in the Ukraine Dnepropetrovsk Mission.
"Sister Jeannette Fuhriman of California suffered multiple injuries and church leaders are working to ensure she receives the best care possible," Craynor said. "Sister Cassandra Mellor of Nevada was treated at the hospital and released. Both sister missionaries are expected to fully recover from their injuries.
"Church leaders have reached out to the families of those involved to express their love and support.”
The BYU student newspaper reported that Ivashchenko was a recent convert to the church, and that the three women were in a taxi when the driver lost control.
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone and...
- Returning LDS missionary, father battling...
- LDS Church releases Easter video, campaign
- State bills to protect religious freedom...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- Lexi Hansen forgives driver who hit her (+video)
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A look back...
- Why I don’t call myself a ‘Mormon...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone... 149
- Why I don’t call myself a... 91
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A... 62
- What Mormons should know about NBC's... 51
- Kara Tippetts, Christian who blogged... 26
- Why Ted Cruz launched his presidential... 17
- Heaven can wait, Christian bookstore... 17
- Millennials are the ‘don’t... 14