LDS church member dies, 2 missionaries injured in car crash in Ukraine
SALT LAKE CITY — A car accident Saturday in Ukraine killed a local LDS Church member and injured two sister missionaries.
"Maria P. Ivashchenko died from injuries she sustained in the accident," said Cody Craynor, a spokesman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The two missionaries are serving in the Ukraine Dnepropetrovsk Mission.
"Sister Jeannette Fuhriman of California suffered multiple injuries and church leaders are working to ensure she receives the best care possible," Craynor said. "Sister Cassandra Mellor of Nevada was treated at the hospital and released. Both sister missionaries are expected to fully recover from their injuries.
"Church leaders have reached out to the families of those involved to express their love and support.”
The BYU student newspaper reported that Ivashchenko was a recent convert to the church, and that the three women were in a taxi when the driver lost control.
- All 4 of Joseph Smith's firsthand accounts of...
- LDS Church to create Central Eurasian Mission...
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Euphemisms can't capture...
- 21 Shakespeare quotes shared in LDS general...
- Mormon humanitarian Bishnu Adhikari, family...
- 'As great as hosting the Olympics': Utah's...
- Ground broken for Star Valley Wyoming Temple
- President Uchtdorf speaks at inaugural John...
- Q-and-A with Elder Oaks: Protecting... 121
- Defending the Faith: Warfare and the... 72
- All 4 of Joseph Smith's firsthand... 56
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Euphemisms can't... 35
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 22
- 5 professional athletes who stand up... 22
- Faith leaders call for religious... 18
- Utah woman produces her own Book of... 16