LDS church member dies, 2 missionaries injured in car crash in Ukraine
SALT LAKE CITY — A car accident Saturday in Ukraine killed a local LDS Church member and injured two sister missionaries.
"Maria P. Ivashchenko died from injuries she sustained in the accident," said Cody Craynor, a spokesman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The two missionaries are serving in the Ukraine Dnepropetrovsk Mission.
"Sister Jeannette Fuhriman of California suffered multiple injuries and church leaders are working to ensure she receives the best care possible," Craynor said. "Sister Cassandra Mellor of Nevada was treated at the hospital and released. Both sister missionaries are expected to fully recover from their injuries.
"Church leaders have reached out to the families of those involved to express their love and support.”
The BYU student newspaper reported that Ivashchenko was a recent convert to the church, and that the three women were in a taxi when the driver lost control.
- 'Meet the Mormons' reaches $4.5 million mark,...
- BYU Broadcasting wins 13 more Emmys for...
- David Archuleta launches 'Glorious' video...
- LDS Charitites partners to help women in Iraq
- LDS Church publishes two new essays on past...
- Changing fields: Returned missionary college...
- Anything for Auni: A community rallies to...
- Sheri Dew and Noelle Pikus-Pace arm wrestle...
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 128
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 117
- LDS Church publishes two new essays on... 57
- Defending the Faith: Some things are... 40
- 'Meet the Mormons' reaches $4.5 million... 36
- California orders churches, others to... 28
- Religious, political leaders in... 16
- Chairman of Becket Fund for Religious... 13