LDS church member dies, 2 missionaries injured in car crash in Ukraine
SALT LAKE CITY — A car accident Saturday in Ukraine killed a local LDS Church member and injured two sister missionaries.
"Maria P. Ivashchenko died from injuries she sustained in the accident," said Cody Craynor, a spokesman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The two missionaries are serving in the Ukraine Dnepropetrovsk Mission.
"Sister Jeannette Fuhriman of California suffered multiple injuries and church leaders are working to ensure she receives the best care possible," Craynor said. "Sister Cassandra Mellor of Nevada was treated at the hospital and released. Both sister missionaries are expected to fully recover from their injuries.
"Church leaders have reached out to the families of those involved to express their love and support.”
The BYU student newspaper reported that Ivashchenko was a recent convert to the church, and that the three women were in a taxi when the driver lost control.
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former executive...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- President Uchtfdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Watch: Mormon missionaries save baby ducks
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS...
- LDS Church releases video about overcoming...
- What does heaven look like? Here are 10...
- Ask Angela: I'm not getting married in the...
- Ask Angela: I'm not getting married in... 89
- LDS Church releases video about... 43
- Defending the Faith: Paul and his list... 22
- LDS stake presidency participates in... 19
- Amish country bristles at... 10
- Want to keep your faith in college?... 7
- Is James Foley a martyr? A brutal death... 6
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS... 6