LDS church member dies, 2 missionaries injured in car crash in Ukraine
SALT LAKE CITY — A car accident Saturday in Ukraine killed a local LDS Church member and injured two sister missionaries.
"Maria P. Ivashchenko died from injuries she sustained in the accident," said Cody Craynor, a spokesman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The two missionaries are serving in the Ukraine Dnepropetrovsk Mission.
"Sister Jeannette Fuhriman of California suffered multiple injuries and church leaders are working to ensure she receives the best care possible," Craynor said. "Sister Cassandra Mellor of Nevada was treated at the hospital and released. Both sister missionaries are expected to fully recover from their injuries.
"Church leaders have reached out to the families of those involved to express their love and support.”
The BYU student newspaper reported that Ivashchenko was a recent convert to the church, and that the three women were in a taxi when the driver lost control.
- 100 inspirational quotes from Mormon leaders
- 6 Mormon sisters share uplifting music with...
- LDS missionaries share messages about...
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved legal...
- President Uchtdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Well-prepared LDS Scouts rescue couple off...
- Video purports to show second beheading of US...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved... 69
- BYU coach, players answer questions at... 18
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 12
- What does heaven look like? Here are 10... 6
- Brigham Young, Utah War topic of... 3
- LDS missionaries share messages about... 2
- Cracks in the ‘stained-glass... 2
- ValueSpeak: A tip of the hat to innocence 2