LDS church member dies, 2 missionaries injured in car crash in Ukraine
SALT LAKE CITY — A car accident Saturday in Ukraine killed a local LDS Church member and injured two sister missionaries.
"Maria P. Ivashchenko died from injuries she sustained in the accident," said Cody Craynor, a spokesman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The two missionaries are serving in the Ukraine Dnepropetrovsk Mission.
"Sister Jeannette Fuhriman of California suffered multiple injuries and church leaders are working to ensure she receives the best care possible," Craynor said. "Sister Cassandra Mellor of Nevada was treated at the hospital and released. Both sister missionaries are expected to fully recover from their injuries.
"Church leaders have reached out to the families of those involved to express their love and support.”
The BYU student newspaper reported that Ivashchenko was a recent convert to the church, and that the three women were in a taxi when the driver lost control.
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- LDS Church to break ground next month for...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer on trek...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- Researching Family History: It's a day of a...
- LDS leaders picture quiz: Can you name that...
- Free tickets for Ogden LDS Temple open house...
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer... 65
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 45
- What does the Mormon 'temperature'... 38
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest? 26
- Obama will sign order barring gay,... 25
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- What would Jesus buy? New website helps... 13
- LDS Church to break ground next month... 13