LDS church member dies, 2 missionaries injured in car crash in Ukraine
SALT LAKE CITY — A car accident Saturday in Ukraine killed a local LDS Church member and injured two sister missionaries.
"Maria P. Ivashchenko died from injuries she sustained in the accident," said Cody Craynor, a spokesman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The two missionaries are serving in the Ukraine Dnepropetrovsk Mission.
"Sister Jeannette Fuhriman of California suffered multiple injuries and church leaders are working to ensure she receives the best care possible," Craynor said. "Sister Cassandra Mellor of Nevada was treated at the hospital and released. Both sister missionaries are expected to fully recover from their injuries.
"Church leaders have reached out to the families of those involved to express their love and support.”
The BYU student newspaper reported that Ivashchenko was a recent convert to the church, and that the three women were in a taxi when the driver lost control.
- Mormon thrill ride creator still generating...
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in women's retail
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS World: Western author Wallace Stegner...
- Religious groups react to Boy Scouts’...
- BYU-Idaho students form brotherhood of...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 298
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 141
- Religious groups react to Boy... 77
- Do contraceptive rules make religious... 43
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy... 31
- Another Book of Mormon musical opens in... 27
- America welcomes Christians, Jews;... 21
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in... 10