SALT LAKE CITY — A car accident Saturday in Ukraine killed a local LDS Church member and injured two sister missionaries.
"Maria P. Ivashchenko died from injuries she sustained in the accident," said Cody Craynor, a spokesman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The two missionaries are serving in the Ukraine Dnepropetrovsk Mission.
"Sister Jeannette Fuhriman of California suffered multiple injuries and church leaders are working to ensure she receives the best care possible," Craynor said. "Sister Cassandra Mellor of Nevada was treated at the hospital and released. Both sister missionaries are expected to fully recover from their injuries.
"Church leaders have reached out to the families of those involved to express their love and support.”
The BYU student newspaper reported that Ivashchenko was a recent convert to the church, and that the three women were in a taxi when the driver lost control.
- The story behind the missionary reality TV...
- The Book of Mormon claims No. 1 spot on list...
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite...
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir to carry on tradition...
- How much did President Obama donate to his...
- Elizabeth Smart talks forgiveness and...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 106
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 87
- Obama: Religious intolerance has... 77
- Ask Angela: With so few choices, should... 75
- Zeroing in on religious hubs, atheists... 73
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 70
- The Book of Mormon claims No. 1 spot on... 49
- How much did President Obama donate to... 44