LDS church member dies, 2 missionaries injured in car crash in Ukraine
SALT LAKE CITY — A car accident Saturday in Ukraine killed a local LDS Church member and injured two sister missionaries.
"Maria P. Ivashchenko died from injuries she sustained in the accident," said Cody Craynor, a spokesman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The two missionaries are serving in the Ukraine Dnepropetrovsk Mission.
"Sister Jeannette Fuhriman of California suffered multiple injuries and church leaders are working to ensure she receives the best care possible," Craynor said. "Sister Cassandra Mellor of Nevada was treated at the hospital and released. Both sister missionaries are expected to fully recover from their injuries.
"Church leaders have reached out to the families of those involved to express their love and support.”
The BYU student newspaper reported that Ivashchenko was a recent convert to the church, and that the three women were in a taxi when the driver lost control.
- LDS sister missionaries assaulted in Chile
- ValueSpeak: How did my toddler grandson...
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring believes he...
- Mormon man's half-court shot is a reminder...
- God will give you more than you can handle, I...
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- BYU Cougarettes, National Hip-Hop Champions,...
- Online system will allow Mormons to pay...
- Online system will allow Mormons to pay... 72
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring... 52
- God will give you more than you can... 51
- Religious liberty issues dog Supreme... 44
- Mormon man's half-court shot is a... 25
- Defending the Faith: Going up to Jerusalem 23
- Wright Words: Founding member of SEAL... 21
- LDS Church donates $100,000 to combat... 19