In the accident, Longshore broke 10 of his ribs and suffered an “open book” fracture of his pelvis, according to a website established for raising funds for his wife Caroline, who is currently expecting the couple’s second child.
Longshore died while in the ICU at Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center. The former Canyon High School player was injured near Idaho Falls.
Longshore was listed on BYU's 2006 football roster as an offensive lineman.
According to SCVNews.com, Longshore was about to honor the one-year anniversary of his stillborn infant’s death. “Nick was just a humble, gentle giant who everybody loved,” according to a longtime family friend, Greg Crow. “He was just that type of young man, an Eagle Scout and the boy next door, and you’d never hear anyone say anything negative about him,” Crow was quoted in the report.
Longshore served an LDS mission to the Philippines from 2000 to 2002 after receiving a scholarship offer to play at Cal-Northridge. He then played at nearby College of the Canyons under current BYU offensive line coach Garett Tujague. He then transferred to BYU.
He is the son of Todd Russell Wells Longshore, who died at age 49 in 2006, according to the report. His father was a Santa Clarita parks commissioner. He is survived by his wife and his brothers Nate, Ben, sister Courtney and his mother DeAnn.
Fundraising efforts are underway to support his wife. At the time of his death, Nick Longshore lived in Salt Lake City. Funeral plans are pending.
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Olympic organizers suspect 'isolated'...
- Cavaliers re-sign veteran forward Richard...
- Jimmy Walker opens with 65 at stifling PGA;...
- Akpom scores deciding goal as Arsenal tops...
- Streb shoots 63 and joins Walker in lead at PGA
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 64
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 52
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 35
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20