Suicide at LDS Las Vegas Temple was son of federal judge, BYU alum
Stuart Johnson, Deseret News
By Tad Walch, Deseret News, and the Associated Press
LAS VEGAS — A 26-year-old man who shot and killed himself Tuesday evening in the atrium leading to the doors of the LDS Church's Las Vegas Temple is the son of federal judge Jay Bybee, a prominent Mormon and BYU alum.
The Clark County coroner said Scott Greer Bybee of Henderson, Nev., died in the shooting that police say happened a little before 6:30 p.m. Tuesday.
A spokesman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints confirmed the shooting happened in an atrium outside the doors of the temple.
“The incident that occurred at the Las Vegas Nevada Temple on Tuesday evening is tragic," local LDS Church spokeswoman Kristen Howey said, "and we are mindful of all those involved, especially family members, who are in our thoughts and prayers.”
An executive at the San Francisco-based appeals court said Jay Bybee isn’t available and isn’t making any immediate comment.
Police officer Bill Cassell says no one else was hurt. The temple closed for the night afterward.
The temple was open Wednesday for regular hours, Howey said.
Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals Judge Jay Scott Bybee is a lifelong Mormon known internationally for signing the memo in 2002 authorizing the use of waterboarding during interrogations of suspected al-Qaeda members.
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- 'Studio C' cast talks to LDS teens about...
- Super Bowl quarterback Tom Brady relies on...
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about...
- Clark Gilbert named new president of BYU-Idaho
- LDS statement could move Utah...
- LDS Church's official website to evolve over...
- See why this Christian mother is giving up...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of... 186
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about... 36
- LDS statement could move Utah... 29
- See why this Christian mother is giving... 15
- Top Catholics and evangelicals: Gay... 13
- Some Republican presidential hopefuls... 12
- Republican White House maybes court... 8
- Clark Gilbert named new president of... 8