Suicide at LDS Las Vegas Temple was son of federal judge, BYU alum
Stuart Johnson, Deseret News
By Tad Walch, Deseret News, and the Associated Press
LAS VEGAS — A 26-year-old man who shot and killed himself Tuesday evening in the atrium leading to the doors of the LDS Church's Las Vegas Temple is the son of federal judge Jay Bybee, a prominent Mormon and BYU alum.
The Clark County coroner said Scott Greer Bybee of Henderson, Nev., died in the shooting that police say happened a little before 6:30 p.m. Tuesday.
A spokesman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints confirmed the shooting happened in an atrium outside the doors of the temple.
“The incident that occurred at the Las Vegas Nevada Temple on Tuesday evening is tragic," local LDS Church spokeswoman Kristen Howey said, "and we are mindful of all those involved, especially family members, who are in our thoughts and prayers.”
An executive at the San Francisco-based appeals court said Jay Bybee isn’t available and isn’t making any immediate comment.
Police officer Bill Cassell says no one else was hurt. The temple closed for the night afterward.
The temple was open Wednesday for regular hours, Howey said.
Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals Judge Jay Scott Bybee is a lifelong Mormon known internationally for signing the memo in 2002 authorizing the use of waterboarding during interrogations of suspected al-Qaeda members.
- LDS Church announces publication of the...
- Young man eager to serve LDS mission bears...
- Why the message behind 'The Book of...
- ‘Ambushed’ officer: God told me...
- Without the overdose of obscenity, 'The Book...
- LDS mom qualifies for U.S. Olympic Marathon...
- My Plan: A new tool to help LDS missionaries...
- The best Christian workplaces in 2015
- Duce's Wild: Working miracles... 31
- Without the overdose of obscenity, 'The... 28
- ‘Ambushed’ officer: God... 28
- LDS Church announces publication of the... 28
- Why the message behind 'The Book of... 18
- Russians' views on religion are... 16
- 5 faith facts about Jim Gilmore:... 8
- Two Sudanese pastors could face the... 6