SALT LAKE CITY — United Way of Salt Lake is sponsoring a warm winter clothing drive and has compiled a list of more than 50 volunteer opportunities to support families in need.
“This time of year presents us with so many opportunities to volunteer and donate to those who aren’t as fortunate,” said Deborah Bayle, president and CEO of United Way of Salt Lake. “We are thankful for the many individuals and organizations in our community that continually make a difference in so many people’s lives year in and year out.”
Drop-off locations are at United Way of Salt Lake, 257 E. 200 South, Suite 300, Salt Lake City, and the following Shopko stores: 1150 N. Main, Layton; 190 S. 500 West, Bountiful; 5959 S. State, Murray; 2165 E. 9400 South, Sandy; 1553 W. 9000 South, West Jordan; 5800 S. Redwood Road, Taylorsville; 4850 W. 2500 South, West Valley City; and 2290 S. 1300 East, Salt Lake City.
The clothing drive benefits low-income children in United Way of Salt Lake’s Community Schools, which are Title I schools that connect families to services focused on improving the academic achievement of at-risk students. Items needed include new or very gently used winter clothing such as coats, gloves, mittens, scarves, socks and winter hats, sized for children ages 6-18.
United Way is also helping community organizations recruit volunteers to complete a variety of service projects including: helping host holiday dinners and events for low-income children and their families, packing and delivering food boxes, and assisting with toy and other donation drives.
For a complete list of holiday volunteer and donation opportunities, visit www.uw.org or dial 211.
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- About 22,000 items stored as stolen property...
- Seeking social media 'likes' could cause...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 56
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 23
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17