Utah Jazz: Trey Burke to make NBA debut tonight in New Orleans; Jeremy Evans will also play
“Yesterday was my first full practice and I felt good out there as well as today at shootaround,” Burke said. “The tape is making it feel much more secure and I’m ready to go.”
Burke wasn’t allowed to run until two weeks ago, but he kept his conditioning up as much as possible by riding a stationary bike. He was allowed to begin one-on-one workouts along with dribbling and shooting practice to test how his finger responded to pushing the ball away from his hand.
So far, so good.
“He’s looking good,” Corbin said. “He’s looking better and better every day as we've been working him out and he feels good about getting back on the floor. So we’ll give him a few minutes.”
Evans injured his right rotator cuff against Portland in the preseason. He had troubles lifting his arm above his head, but said he feels confident enough to dunk and is trying to get his shooting rhythm back.
“Finally. Man, I’m been waiting for it,” Evans said. “I’m just excited, very excited.”
Burke, who the Jazz traded their 14th and 21st picks to acquire from Minnesota this offseason, admitted he's having mixed emotions, ranging from an exciting feeling to some nerves.
"I had butterflies every game in college, so I know I’ll have butterflies tonight," Burke said. "But I think that’s the excitement coming along. It’s not about being nervous, it's about going out there and trusting your teammates."
And, of course, finally being able to play.
NOTES: Corbin said Andris Biedrins (sprained ankle) and Brandon Rush (knee rehab) are both getting closer to returning to action as well. Biedrins hasn't played since injuring himself two days before the season started, while Rush appeared for 10 minutes against Brooklyn but has been trying to get himself physically and mentally ready since then. ... Jazz forward Marvin Williams was fit for a specialized mask to wear Tuesday in Utah, and he'll undergo surgery to reset his broken nose Thursday. Williams is expected to rejoin the Jazz in time for Friday's game in Dallas. ... Utah picked up its only win of the season last Wednesday by beating the Pelcians 111-105 at EnergySolutions Arena. ... Corbin mentioned that he has officially named Gordon Hayward and Derrick Favors as team captains.
- Phil Mickelson to forfeit nearly $1 million...
- Perfect 10: Cavs stay unbeaten in postseason,...
- AP source: Lincecum completes $2.5 million...
- RSL's Kyle Beckerman named to USMNT's Copa...
- Exaggerator finally beats Nyquist, wins...
- DeRozan, Raptors end Cavaliers' streak with...
- 20 years ago: Utah Jazz drop heartbreaker to...
- 2 Indian climbers missing on Mount Everest...
- Morning links: Tanner Mangum an... 52
- Utah basketball adds Czech big man... 43
- Softball: Utah advances to regional... 33
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly... 22
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 22
- Utah softball beats Kentucky, 5-3, to... 16
- Video: 100 days until college football... 15
- Kyle Collinsworth to work out for... 9