Book review: Utah author publishes fourth in 'Hashbrown Winters' series for young readers
Editor's note: This is one of several recent adventure novels by local authors for middle grade readers.
This is the fourth in the Hashbrown Winters series, the adventures of zany kids who make strategies for competition with other gangs from their classy, furnished treehouse. Characters like Whiz, Measles, Pigeon, Four Hips and Hambone Oxcart (with his gargantuan pet cockroach who is the Death Dealer of Pordunce Elementary School) make up Hashbrown’s friends. Then there’s Fibber, the oracle in the locker at the school, who gives advice in reverse.
Each of the characters and humorous that they carry the plot with their antics, especially when they accidentally end up in a different dimension.
While the author lists some of the “riffraff of Lasterton,” readers new to the series may be at a loss about where each group of friends belongs. A backstory or prologue would make “Hashbrown Winters and the Whiz-Tastrophe” (and each of the books in the series) a more enjoyable read.
Others in the series are “The Adventures of Hashbrown Winters,” “Hashbrown Winters and the Mashimoto Madness” and “Hashbrown Winters and the Phantom of Pordunce.”
- 60 things you might not know about your...
- 10 celebrity couples who have made marriage work
- Ron Perlman added to Salt Lake Comic Con...
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- 13 ways Disney could use drones at its parks
- Sutton Foster promises 'an intimate look at...
- 5 takeaways from a punch-less summer box office
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge is...
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket... 7
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:... 4
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt wed privately... 3
- Fallon to lead honors as Leno wins top... 2
- EA Sports puts Damian Lillard on the... 2
- Linda & Richard Eyre: How media could... 2
- Miley Cyrus about VMA success: 'I'm in... 1
- 10 things to know before going to Salt... 1