Editor's note: This is one of several recent adventure novels by local authors for middle grade readers.
The year is 1863 and Confederate soldiers plunder and burn as they move across Indiana and Ohio. Near Jackson County, Ohio, Brig. Gen. John Hunt Morgan and his troops camp on the Dunbar farm where the family, sick with diphtheria, pray for their lives.
Nine-year-old Cordelia "Dill" Dunbar, who is caring for her brother’s horse and the farm as best she can, bargains with Morgan. She will cook breakfast for the enemy troops if the farm is left intact.
This is a fictionalized account of local author's Lisa Trimble Actor’s ancestors who survived the Confederate raids on Jackson County.
Actor’s colorful dialogue and the action-packed adventure make this a meaningful historical event.
- Sutton Foster promises 'an intimate look at...
- 'Guardians' stays atop cinemas amid worst...
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- 5 takeaways from a punch-less summer box office
- For gamers, combating online abuse not easy
- 10 celebrity couples who have made marriage work
- Ron Perlman added to Salt Lake Comic Con...
- Salt Lake Comic Con and Utah Symphony present...
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket... 8
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:... 4
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt wed privately... 3
- Fallon to lead honors as Leno wins top... 2
- Linda & Richard Eyre: How media could... 2
- 'Guardians' stays atop cinemas amid... 1
- 10 things to know before going to Salt... 1
- 13 ways Disney could use drones at its... 1