Editor's note: This is one of several recent adventure novels by local authors for middle grade readers.
The year is 1863 and Confederate soldiers plunder and burn as they move across Indiana and Ohio. Near Jackson County, Ohio, Brig. Gen. John Hunt Morgan and his troops camp on the Dunbar farm where the family, sick with diphtheria, pray for their lives.
Nine-year-old Cordelia "Dill" Dunbar, who is caring for her brother’s horse and the farm as best she can, bargains with Morgan. She will cook breakfast for the enemy troops if the farm is left intact.
This is a fictionalized account of local author's Lisa Trimble Actor’s ancestors who survived the Confederate raids on Jackson County.
Actor’s colorful dialogue and the action-packed adventure make this a meaningful historical event.
- 60 things you might not know about your...
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:...
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- 10 celebrity couples who have made marriage work
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge is...
- 10 books that you were forced to read in...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: How media could help...
- 13 ways Disney could use drones at its parks
- Amish country bristles at... 10
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket... 6
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:... 4
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt wed privately... 3
- Fallon to lead honors as Leno wins top... 2
- Is 'Harry Potter' actually about mental... 2
- EA Sports puts Damian Lillard on the... 2
- Miley Cyrus about VMA success: 'I'm in... 1