Editor's note: This is one of several recent adventure novels by local authors for middle grade readers.
The year is 1863 and Confederate soldiers plunder and burn as they move across Indiana and Ohio. Near Jackson County, Ohio, Brig. Gen. John Hunt Morgan and his troops camp on the Dunbar farm where the family, sick with diphtheria, pray for their lives.
Nine-year-old Cordelia "Dill" Dunbar, who is caring for her brother’s horse and the farm as best she can, bargains with Morgan. She will cook breakfast for the enemy troops if the farm is left intact.
This is a fictionalized account of local author's Lisa Trimble Actor’s ancestors who survived the Confederate raids on Jackson County.
Actor’s colorful dialogue and the action-packed adventure make this a meaningful historical event.
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid friendly
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes first...
- The Clean Cut: Two popular YouTube singers...
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- Elegant Louvre Garden in Paris infested with...
- NBC announces lead for live musical 'Peter Pan'
- A dozen children's books I could read every day
- Man without arms and legs has a message about...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 14
- Sarah Palin launches online... 10
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid... 9
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention... 8
- Man without arms and legs has a message... 4
- First trailer for 'The Hobbit: The... 3
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes... 2
- Elegant Louvre Garden in Paris infested... 1