Dita Alangkara, AP
Relief efforts in the Philippines are starting to bring glimmers of reality to survivors of Typhoon Haiyan.
And among them are the millions of traumatized children who have been trying to cope in the wake of the disaster.
"Of the estimated 13 million people affected by the storm, five million are children," The New York Times reported.
And slowly, they have been getting back to normal.
"Despite the signs of resilience, social workers and parents say the children are newly vulnerable — a reality the Philippines will need to deal with as it stumbles through a flawed relief effort that has failed to provide basics like food and medicine fast enough," according to The New York Times.
Additionally, families affected by the storm will have to prepare to address the emotional scars the children involved may have incurred.
The article recounts the story of a small family by the name of Macabasag, separated during the storm when the parents left their children at an evacuation center with their aunt while the father and mother left to secure the house.
When the parents returned, they found their children traumatized from weathering the storm.
"Social workers have told Ms. Macabasag to encourage her children to keep playing and to write and draw to express their feelings about the storm. When she asks her 5-year-old son, Jose Luiz, about what happened, she said, he just cries," according to the New York Times.
Now the concern is dealing with the aftermath, including illness and malnutrition.
And it's a grim scene to behold, NPR reports.
"Driving into town, you notice how quiet it is," NPR reporter Russell Lewis writes. "People have lot of outdoor fires for light and cooking. People line up for supplies, gas, food, whatever. Stray dogs lope along the main road. It's been cleared of debris, but is still a mess. Piles and piles of debris, wrecked cars, downed power lines, you name it. It's utterly amazing."
According to the article, nearly two dozen countries have contributed to the relief effort, making the clean-up and international effort.
- Live at the GOP convention: Donald Trump...
- Marilyn Monroe's tresses and dresses going up...
- Trump's party: What to watch on GOP...
- Friends recall slain officers as residents...
- No sign of Trump endorsement, but plenty of...
- Trump speechwriter apologizes for Melania...
- Thunderous boos for Cruz for refusing to...
- 17 arrested in flag-burning melee outside GOP...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Obama rejects Trump depiction of US in... 39
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 31
- Trump speechwriter apologizes for... 27
- Police give all-clear in Munich... 26
- Thunderous boos for Cruz for refusing... 22
- Ohio Mormon offered invocation at... 22