Firefighters resuscitate puppy rescued from Salt Lake fire
Steve Breinholt, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Firefighters resuscitated a puppy they rescued from a burning apartment building in Rose Park Tuesday.
Salt Lake City firefighters responded to a fire at a four-plex at 850 N. Cornell St. (1550 West) at 12:07 a.m.
The owner of the unit escaped the blaze and informed police that her puppy was still inside. Crews found a 1-year-old mixed breed puppy hiding behind a bed, against a wall.
"Obviously it's a scary situation and (animals) tend to hide," Salt Lake fire spokesman Jasen Asay said.
Firefighters estimate that the puppy was in the building for 10 minutes before they rescued him and administered oxygen.
"He was breathing but didn't do much else," Salt Lake Fire Capt. Kyle Lavender said. "Over the next 10 minutes he got better and started moving more."
All fire trucks have specialty masks that fit onto dogs or cats, which is what they used to revive the puppy.
"We know that pets are part of people's families. Fires are a devastating thing and you lose so much in your home, so it's nice to be able to help people's family," Asay said.
The puppy was in good spirits when he saw his owners after being rescued.
The fire began in a kitchen in the four-plex and crews contained the blaze. Only one unit was burned, with damages estimated at between $10,000 and $15,000.
The people who live in the damaged apartment are staying with family.
Contributing: Shara Park
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: whitevs7
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake residents...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking in Orem
- Body in suitcase is not missing Provo woman,...
- Historic Salt Lake building now home to...
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- Wedding put on hold after BYU student kicked...
- Man dies in paragliding crash on Utah Lake
- Jury convicts San Juan County commissioner...
- Opposing sides of same-sex marriage... 124
- Outcome of same-sex marriage case hard... 54
- Stewart, Bishop launch group to take... 37
- Herbert, legislative leaders starting... 29
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 22
- 2 Utah chiefs with Baltimore ties say... 19
- Provo businessman declines push to run... 19
- LDS Church donates $100,000 to combat... 19