Firefighters resuscitate puppy rescued from Salt Lake fire
Steve Breinholt, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Firefighters resuscitated a puppy they rescued from a burning apartment building in Rose Park Tuesday.
Salt Lake City firefighters responded to a fire at a four-plex at 850 N. Cornell St. (1550 West) at 12:07 a.m.
The owner of the unit escaped the blaze and informed police that her puppy was still inside. Crews found a 1-year-old mixed breed puppy hiding behind a bed, against a wall.
"Obviously it's a scary situation and (animals) tend to hide," Salt Lake fire spokesman Jasen Asay said.
Firefighters estimate that the puppy was in the building for 10 minutes before they rescued him and administered oxygen.
"He was breathing but didn't do much else," Salt Lake Fire Capt. Kyle Lavender said. "Over the next 10 minutes he got better and started moving more."
All fire trucks have specialty masks that fit onto dogs or cats, which is what they used to revive the puppy.
"We know that pets are part of people's families. Fires are a devastating thing and you lose so much in your home, so it's nice to be able to help people's family," Asay said.
The puppy was in good spirits when he saw his owners after being rescued.
The fire began in a kitchen in the four-plex and crews contained the blaze. Only one unit was burned, with damages estimated at between $10,000 and $15,000.
The people who live in the damaged apartment are staying with family.
Contributing: Shara Park
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: whitevs7
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- YouTube star Stuart Edge hopes to inspire...
- Missing Millard County woman's body found...
- Teen leads Humane Society service project to...
- Co-workers help Syracuse mother conquer daily...
- South Carolina woman dies on Sundance zip line
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 21
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 19
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 16
- Sutherland Institute looks to broaden... 15
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 12