If you start saving 2 percent of your income but your situation changes, have you increased your savings rate? Can you get to 10 percent two years after starting your system? If you have been saving 10 percent and don’t feel any stress, is it safe to move to a 20 percent rate of savings? Once your system is a natural piece of your process, so much so that it is invisible to you, you could be giving up some control or awareness of your financial situation.
Personal finance is about making conscious choices with your money. That includes not using money without considering the circumstances. The present scenario changes over time, and a system does not relieve you of the need to see every pay check as a money-saving opportunity.
Automatic saving leads to success. A study from 2009 (Gordon, Romich, & Waithaka) determined that customers who created systems in the form of automatic savings transfers had more success accumulating savings. The accumulation savings is an intermediate goal, meaning it’s part of a path towards something else. With more savings, you can avoid expensive debt, and you can reach financial independence sooner. This gives you the ability to have more control over your life, to spend your time doing what makes you happy without having to be concerned about negative financial consequences for every decision you make.
Systems like automatic savings will help get you there.
How do you automate your savings?
Luke Landes, also known as Flexo, is the founder of Consumerism Commentary. He has been blogging and writing for the internet since 1995 and has been building online communities since 1991.
- 25 richest states in America
- 9 reasons you may never retire
- Wal-Mart vs. Target: Wal-Mart ups ante on...
- 4 reasons it pays to be thin and assertive,...
- How the 'world's best counterfeiter' got away...
- Top 10 money mistakes new parents make
- Creative kitchen remodel ideas for every budget
- Homes sales down in Salt Lake County for...
- The marriage between economic success... 5
- Charity, it does a body good 3
- 5 questions to ask on the way to the ER 3
- Stocks mostly lower as oil sinks,... 2
- Churches preach against payday loans,... 2
- This billionaire is going to die broke... 2
- Consumers believe Utah economy is... 2
- Top 10 money mistakes new parents make 2