If you start saving 2 percent of your income but your situation changes, have you increased your savings rate? Can you get to 10 percent two years after starting your system? If you have been saving 10 percent and don’t feel any stress, is it safe to move to a 20 percent rate of savings? Once your system is a natural piece of your process, so much so that it is invisible to you, you could be giving up some control or awareness of your financial situation.
Personal finance is about making conscious choices with your money. That includes not using money without considering the circumstances. The present scenario changes over time, and a system does not relieve you of the need to see every pay check as a money-saving opportunity.
Automatic saving leads to success. A study from 2009 (Gordon, Romich, & Waithaka) determined that customers who created systems in the form of automatic savings transfers had more success accumulating savings. The accumulation savings is an intermediate goal, meaning it’s part of a path towards something else. With more savings, you can avoid expensive debt, and you can reach financial independence sooner. This gives you the ability to have more control over your life, to spend your time doing what makes you happy without having to be concerned about negative financial consequences for every decision you make.
Systems like automatic savings will help get you there.
How do you automate your savings?
Luke Landes, also known as Flexo, is the founder of Consumerism Commentary. He has been blogging and writing for the internet since 1995 and has been building online communities since 1991.
- The 15 best affordable burgers in the Wasatch...
- Boehner, McConnell blast Obama border request
- More part-time jobs not a good sign, some...
- How to consolidate federal student loans for...
- 3 simple steps for building financial...
- Gray gambling: How gaming impacts seniors
- Society thinks life ends after 55 years of...
- Farmers markets to accept food stamps
- Boehner, McConnell blast Obama border... 29
- US unemployment aid applications fall... 11
- Utah gas prices climb 14 cents from... 9
- Backlash stirs in US against foreign... 8
- More part-time jobs not a good sign,... 8
- Pamela Yip: Take steps to keep medical... 5
- Balancing act: Fight workplace bullying... 2
- 3 simple steps for building financial... 1