Utah Jazz: Big comeback comes too late in latest Jazz loss to Warriors
“I was just trying to be aggressive,” said Garrett, who finished with five assists. “Coach was talking to me (saying), ‘Play with confidence; be a little loose out there; look to attack out there,’ so I took advantage of it.”
Another bright spot was Marvin Williams, who came off the bench and scored seven in the period as Utah cut Golden State’s lead to 13 heading into the fourth quarter.
Williams finished with 16 points and a team-high eight rebounds despite playing with a broken nose.
“I can’t say enough about Marvin Williams and how we appreciate him,” Corbin said. “To be playing with a broken nose, getting hit in it and staying on the floor and trying to do everything he can to help us get over the hump, I really appreciate and respect his effort for us.”
Utah made one late run, outscoring Golden State 16-2 to finish the game, even forcing Jackson to sub his starters, except for Curry, back in with 1:12 remaining. Rookie Ian Clark had 10 points in that final stretch.
Corbin just wants to see that type of aggressiveness the Jazz played with in the second half earlier and much more often from his struggling squad. Utah held Golden State to 39 points after halftime.
“I think we just got sick and tired of being sick and tired of how we were playing,” Corbin said, “and that’s how we have to play right from the beginning.”
The Warriors held a big advantage inside, with All-Star power forward David Lee scoring 14 points with 14 rebounds and former University of Utah star Andrew Bogut grabbing 13 boards with eight points.
Derrick Favors only had 10 points and seven boards, while Enes Kanter had eight points and six rebounds. The two starting Jazz big men combined to shoot 8 for 23.
NOTES: Hayward continued his hot first quarters, scoring 12 of his team-high 18 in the first 12 minutes. Utah embarks on a three-game road trip, beginning Wednesday at New Orleans. The Jazz were outrebounded 57-40.
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's...
- BYU-USU video: 5 plays that turned the game...
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA career...
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell...
- College Football: Utah moves back into top...
- Jazz notebook: Rookie's new wardrobe...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best Pac-12...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 99
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 41
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 37
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Utah State denies David Collette's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Aggies will give BYU best... 23
- Doug Robinson: Colorado-Utah: In the... 23
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 22