GUNNISON, Sanpete County — A woman is dead and a man is in extremely critical condition following a head-on collision on U.S. 89 Monday morning.
Kay Marie Matthews, 42, was headed north on U.S. 89 about 7 a.m. when she struck a dead deer lying in the road about 5 miles east of Gunnison, the Utah Highway Patrol reported.
Matthews lost control of the Pontiac Grand Prix she was driving, crossed into northbound traffic and collided with a Toyota pickup.
She was transported to Gunnison Valley Hospital, where she died of her injuries.
The driver of the Toyota, 19-year-old Brady Kyle Simons, was hospitalized in extremely critical condition, the UHP reported.
— McKenzie Romero
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- Photo gallery: Deseret News Classic 5K
- Ogden man dies following U.S. 89 motorcycle...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 67
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 30
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 18